Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: astra g coolant loss help please!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation astra g coolant loss help please!!!

hi everyone.my G is loosing coolant really quite rapidly.i have to fully fill header tank at least once a week.been doing it for about 6 month now and starting to get well on my nerves.firstly theres no obvious leaks and i havent noticed any damp patches on floor

i have tried these few things to try and sort it but to no avail. checked throughly for leaks, new header tank cap, new thermostat, checked heater matrix and last saturday fitted a new radiator on off chance it could be that. but it is stil dropping

leaves me to believe it could possibly be head gasket.only thing is i did a service on it 2 month ago and there was no coolant in oil and the spark plugs were all dry (no oil raised into ports). also after 6 month if it was that i thought it would have totally gone by now??the only thing i have noticed is exhaust sounds a bit raspy at first(like it has standing water in pipes) and sometimes a small amount of steamy smoke from exit pipes

i know very litle about h/g failure so is it possible for an h/g to go but not on the part where coolant would go into the oil but instead on abit where it would go straight into the exhaust pipes (if you know what i mean)

sorry its a bit of a long post but any help/info would be much appreciated (also sorry if this is in wrong section)

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    More than likely there's a small hole in the radiator or associated pipework - mine was doing the same as yours, losing water with no apparent leaks or puddles below the car. The system was only leaking under pressure when running/hot and even then only a little bit. The garage pressure tested it and there was a pin***** hole in the radiator - changed it and job done

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for reply mate. i put a brand new radiator on last saturday on off chance it could be something like that and had all pipes off for a good look(which looked fine) but not helped at all. forgot to add the coolant seems to be circulating fine and returning to header tank. its just somewhere along the line its going somewhere. even david blaine would be proud of this disappearing act

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Get some coolant in when you can, it lubricates the water pump so is essential really

If you take the car on a good long run to really warm the engine up, is there still no sign of a leak with the engine left running?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Get some coolant in when you can, it lubricates the water pump so is essential really

If you take the car on a good long run to really warm the engine up, is there still no sign of a leak with the engine left running?

i always top it up with coolant mate as i dont want to knacker water pump up like you say (its costing a small fortune lol) last time i took it on a long run was to skeggy 2 month ago (bowt 2.5 hours drive) checked engine bay when i got there could'nt see anything but had to refil coolant for trip home.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just thought id post an update up as its stil been losing coolant. last thursday i had all hoses off and checked them which were all fine (also checked on car with a mate reving it and 2 of us checking). when putting them back on i bought some new clamps so i know there getting a tight grip around hoses/conectors. then went and had the H/G pressure tested and thats stil fine.
    so up to now ive changed,
    radiator,header tank cap.hose clamps,thermostat,water pump,checked heater matrix and had H/G pressure tested (and 10,000 gallons of antifreeze lol) but stil no closer to finding out whats wrong.

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    take off the cambelt cover and get the car upto temp and see if it is running out from the waterpump gasket or pump bearing/evap hole as this would run down the cambelt area onto the shitguard tray below and you would not see this on the floor

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh dear thats sounds like a real pain mate. Might sound stupid but have you checked if your floor is damp inside? If not I have heard of cases where the system does lose water when its hot and got pressure on. Look at your core plugs. Some are behind the engine and some are near the exhaust and could drip onto, it steams away before it hits the floor. Mate of mine had a core plug gone and he could never figure out why he was loosing water. So fingers cross buddy, my money is on core plugs

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers pal ill have a look at weekend.there's no wet patches inside or out on floor so you might be on to something with them core plugs.ill also take the cam cover off while im at it and see if i see anything there.cheers lads

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hope you get it sorted. Glad you posted an update to eliminate all sorts of other stuff that could be the culprit. That way, when you do find it, it will help others

Have you checked the coolant hose thats round the back of the throttle body?
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast