Thread: Coupe Turbo Questions

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Coupe Turbo Questions

Looking to buy my first coupe and have afew questions.

1. Whats the drivers space like for room. Im 6'3 and a big lad. I have driven a 2008 Astra hatchback with no issues.

2. Realibility? Its a 50/50 thing with my friends some say dont touch hem i've had 100's of pobs or know people that have had. Then on the other side people saying there great and had no problems.

3. What to look out for when viewing and things like recalls etc... its low mileage 52 Plate i'm looking at.

Cheers

Matt

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blodwin View Post
    Looking to buy my first coupe and have afew questions.

1. Whats the drivers space like for room. Im 6'3 and a big lad. I have driven a 2008 Astra hatchback with no issues.

2. Realibility? Its a 50/50 thing with my friends some say dont touch hem i've had 100's of pobs or know people that have had. Then on the other side people saying there great and had no problems.

3. What to look out for when viewing and things like recalls etc... its low mileage 52 Plate i'm looking at.

Cheers

Matt
    hi m8 iv got a coupe im 6 foot4 and got loads room m8 you could try for your self tho when u view car , iv had no probems with my car at all its best car iv owned m8 , you can always get rac to check car over b4 buying or some1 that knows bout cars m8

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    for turbo issues, have a scan around the turbo forum and you'll find all the answers about owning/buying a turbo Astra, as for the coupe part.... well they are great, i never had an issue with mine,

usual car things to look out for, noisy brakes, wheel bearings, abnormal engine noises, knackard shocks etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegman View Post
    You know me so well and not even dinner, a movie and some flowers Tony. What sort of man do you think I am!!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    First thing to check for is lots of white smoke from the exhaust, especially just after starting the engine - this could indicate a turbo that is worn and on its way out.

Check that the car accelerates hard and smoothly.

The Zlet is also prone to leaks from the rocker cover gasket. A cheap fix but a poss bargaining point.

Shop carefully. Lots have been hammered and it isnt always obvious on initial inspection.

Thats about as much as I know.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a coupe turbo b4 my cabby - bought it standard and tuned it to about 280bhp.

Dont think the space thing will be an issue - they're quite roomy.

Reliability - Not too bad on reliability although I did have a few problems in the 18 months I owned it. Normally just easy to fix stuff like sensors, boost hoses popping off or splitting, AFMs, coil pack, lamda sensor etc. Also had the standard turbo fail as a lot do at around 60k miles - budet up to a grand for replacement including fitting.

Actually thinking about it the car was a royal pain in the arse for reliability and that's why I got rid of it in the end and bought a 2.2 lol. Having said that when it worked it was great fun and I still miss it now and would prob have another one. Just expect to get very familiar with having your head under the bonnet looking at the good old trusty Zlet lump trying to work out whats gone wrong

If it pulls smoothly through the revs, doesn't kick out blue smoke on idle and usual bits to look out for I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Astra coupe turbo 280bhp-sold
    BMW E60 5 Series M Sport

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1. make sure no smoke at all blue/white on tick over and on boost

2. no knock's, tapping..

3. rocker cover gasket (as said very cheap to do)

4. make sure boosts great with no hesitaition..

5. dont buy with lights on dash lol cos vauxhalls tend to like there lights.

i had gsi but was great to drive reliable if you dont mess around with it to much...common faults afm,coil pack,lamda's, sensor's, drop links. from my expernces and my freinds..

you will enjoy it gd luck

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Coupe Turbo/Astra J 1.4 active
    Mentioned in
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    ive owned a coupe turbo for 3 years and the probs ive had is
    1. replaced coil pack and bcs
    2. both wheel bearings although guess this would fall under wear and tear.
    3. rocker cover gasket.

Now the bearing in 2nd and 3rd gear in the gearbox is whineing underload so when i get that fixed then im gonna get a new clutch at the same time.

covered 40,000 miles in it with regular oil changes.

Still a great car to drive and i still love it today

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1 - Well the Astra H is certainly much bigger inside than the Astra G - trust me I own both. However, the Astra G coupe still has a really nice driving position. I am around 6ft and have room to spare - have driven on track with a helmet on and its fine. Pedals are nicely spaced and steering wheel has reach and rake adjustment. You should be fine, pretty good seats too.

2 - With any turbo car there are potentially a lot more issues than with NA vehicles. There is more piping for leaks and turbos need a little more looking after (warming up and down gently) to maintain them. But the gearboxes are strong and there arent any big issues you get with some manufacurers - pretty good overall. The only issues I have had have been silly niggles - gearbox cables needed adjusting as she was popping out of 1st, oil leak from return pipe, oil leak from cam cover gasket etc. Mechanically and electrically they are pretty good cars and rust wise they are excellent, put some much more expensive brands to shame and nothing like Vauxhalls of old

3 - Usual car checks, but get it really hot and rev it to see if there's any smoke or rattling, get down low and have a good look for oil leaks etc
    2006 Astra 1.9CDTi SRi