Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter

Insuring a learner..

Thinking ahead here, my daughter will be starting to drive next June, and will probably want a car from the word go to practice in.

What happens about insuring it in her name? Or is it a case of insuring it in mine, having her as a named driver, then once she passes get her her own policy?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can have it in there name from the word go if you like once she has a proviional licence she can have insurance
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had my first car for 8 months under my priv liscence it aint cheap though
    Mk4 ASTRA 1.7DTI Estate On 126K Miles Now 127k 11/10/2008 - - 129K 28/11/2008 - - 130k 04/01/2009 -- Now 138k 08/05/2009 Now 142k and a broken Diff -- 144K

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had my first car in my own name as a provisional license driver on my policy and it actually went UP when I passed my test!
    Driving Audi TT 225 Q

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickfearn View Post
    I had my first car in my own name as a provisional license driver on my policy and it actually went UP when I passed my test!
    Thats becasue on a provisional you will always have somboy supervising you and when you pass you will be drivin on your own or sumthingk like that dead stupid realy!!! as im more likley talk and get distradcted then when im drriving on my own

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes but you would think being in full control of a car which you dont know how the hell works you could much easily hit accelerator instead of brake or slam on or something and cause an accident more likely than when you know how it all works, i get the distracted and that but learners are always stalling, doing daft things and end up sitting in the middle of multi lane crossings when their crossing has now gone red! I did it once, it scared the shit out of me but casued a massive palaza for everyone else, just had to wait until it cleared and mine went back on green lol but im surprised it didnt cause a crash, cars in every direction!
    Driving Audi TT 225 Q

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just aswell get her a car and insure her from the beginning as a learner , so she can earn her own ncd .. asap,, cos even if you put her as a named driver on your policy and your insurance company lets her accumulate her own ncd (if its one of the companys that do this)while driving on your policy...unless she drives your car and doesnt get her own car for at least a year..all ncd she earns driving on your policy wont count...unless a year is completed.(.unless she insures with the same company.)..plus being female she will get her insurance a lot cheaper as my daughter did when she was a learner and had her own renault clio insured....,,my son did the same had his own car insured while a learner,, and it cost 3 times more than daughter...
    Drives a 53 plate Arden Blue Zafira A Gsi 2ltr turbo...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I insured my 1.4 with Quinn as a named driver on a provisional license, was paying 90 a month lol, when i passed my test it went up to . . . wait for it . . .£344 . . . per month

I basically told them go go **** themselves, cancelled my policy, and am now as a named driver with direct line, on my mums, for 95 a month lol.

Good thing is i build up my own no claims as a named driver with direct line, get a small little engined car and get her her own policy as shes a girl hers will be a shit load less than a guys

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickfearn View Post
    Yes but you would think being in full control of a car which you dont know how the hell works you could much easily hit accelerator instead of brake or slam on or something and cause an accident more likely than when you know how it all works, i get the distracted and that but learners are always stalling, doing daft things and end up sitting in the middle of multi lane crossings when their crossing has now gone red! I did it once, it scared the shit out of me but casued a massive palaza for everyone else, just had to wait until it cleared and mine went back on green lol but im surprised it didnt cause a crash, cars in every direction!
    So u think that as soon as you pass ur test, your a perfect driver lol, your no better at driving 1 minute before you pass your test compared to 1 mintue after lol. Thats y insurance is so high, go for a pass plus, i didnt, but i shud of lol. I passed 9 months ago and im a million times better and so much more confident now.

Insurance for young drivers is a shit, always has been, always will be tbh, but everyones had to go through it. :/