Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOT TAX SORN DVLA related question, odd one.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

MOT TAX SORN DVLA related question, odd one.

A friend of the family has a car that is a UK car but has spent the last 3 years in Spain. They want to bring the car home, and even though its been on Spanish roads legally it obviously hasn't got a UK MOT or TAX any more.

They want to drive it back but are unsure what to do when they hit UK soil. Any ideas? They live in Birmingham so its a long drive back with a car that will not be road legal paper work wise.

Any ideas or suggestions? I have told them to ring the DVLA but I found it an interesting scenario
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i may be wrong but im sure they will be fine until it is registered in the uk. foreigners who travel over holidays are covered and are not illeagal.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I suppose the DVLA said no to driving in the UK.
    The only way to get round it is to tow the car (then technically it's not driving on the road), or get the car asap to an MOT centre once on UK soil
    Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as long as it has fully legal cover for the country its currently registered in it should be ok.
    No longer GSi power
    Dirty Derv Decked Vec is the way forward for me!

Status
    couldn't care less!
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it's been in Spain for 3 years does it not come under their motoring laws?

If so it would be the same scenario as a Spanish holiday maker in the UK for a week or two. Surely the Spanish have a similar system to our MOT so the car must have had been checked whilst out there.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its no difference to driving into france or spain in a UK registered car, it has to display the relevent registration country badge (E) and be 100% legal (like our tax, insurance and MOT) for upto point of registration change. i know this as my grandad used to live out in Andora and had to re-register his when he came back
    No longer GSi power
    Dirty Derv Decked Vec is the way forward for me!

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    this is the bit I am little vauge on sorry. The car has been out there and it is in there system and passed any tests/requirments that is required to drive over in Spain. However its still a UK car on UK plates, so I doubt it would be the same as a Spanish tourist in a spainish car for example.

The ANPR cameras will pick it up as a UK car without tax and mot so will be dealt with in that manor I would have thought.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I dont know on this one matt
    We have few cars out n spain on uk plates at the mo
    2 of them com back to the uk all the time
    but one has been out for years an not come back it went in for a mot thingie in spain ??

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Reckon it will be one that the DVLA could only answer, due to it being in UK plates.

If it was on Spanish plates then it would of been like a 'tourist' visit.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It will be illegal to use on Public roads in the UK. With uk plates it must have a valid MOT TAX and insurance. If the car has been in Spain 3 years it should have been exported. It may have done all the tests in spain but under european legislation it should have been regegistered on spanish plates. The problem is that DVLA will have it listed as an untaxed vehicle and it will not have been SORN'd so they may have to back pay road fund licence. Personally I wild be getting the car lifted on a trailer once it hits the docks untill the issue is resolved.

Police now have powers to seize an uninsured and untaxed vehicles. The fact that they may have spainish insurance and tax just wont wash at the side of the road especially as it is on UK plates.

Treading a very grey area of the law

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast