Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Glow plug relays...

Hey all.

I have a 2.0 litre DTi 1999 Astra Estate.

I'm trying to cure the problem that I have somewhere in my "glow circet" as the fault says.

I've read up on here, that most of the time its the relay. I've managed to get a relay over the weekend from the breakers, I went to get a new wiper motor, and happened to spy a Astra Van there, and I also got the relay.

Now, I didn't look at what engine was actually in the Van, but I suspect it was a 1.7 turbo diesel. (its had an intercooler for a start)

Anyways, I've got the relay from it, although it looks the same size and shape, will it work with my Astra?

I don't want to take the old one off, and find its not the same thing.

Cheers all

Mart

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmatix View Post
    Anyone?
    Hi Dogmatix,

I guess I'm anyone. I read your post yesterday and spent some time using EPC to look at part numbers but for some reason could only find part numbers for the 1.7L engines. Strange.

I started writing a reply yesterday but it was just guessing so deleted it. Even looked at the relay on my Astra yesterday (with the X17DTL). I reckon if there was a problem with my glow plugs and I was thinking of replacing the relay I would just install a new one as an old one from a wrecking yard is another unknown element (possibly faulty).

Would a new relay for your 2.0L engine wouldn't be very expensive? On the other hand, I don't think it would wreck anything other than maybe the relay itself if you just give it a go.

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    OK maybe not that cheap - I had a look on eBay UK and saw this relay + control unit for 27.50:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Diese...d=p3286.c0.m14

The relay is really simple on my old Astra. The interesting thing for the part above is that they say it fits (from among a long list):

"Astra G & Zafira A 1998-2004 with X17DTL or X20DTH or Y20DTL or Y17DT or Z17DTL engine code"

If yours is a 1999 2.0L does that mean its an Astra G X20DTH?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your input Paul.

I really don't know what engine mine is I've tried looking for a stamp and to date, not found one.

However, I thought I'd bite the bullet and try it, took my old one off, and looked at the terminals etc, numbers all matched up, and pysical sized match, so went for gold...

Turned the key, the light went out within milliseconds... normally its there until all the other lights go out... and when I started the car, the engine light never reappared, to which it used to.

Will try it in the morning, as it'll be alot colder, but everythings looking hopeful.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you need to change the glow plugs themselvles. i got mine for 40 all in.

also baught i gm relay for them and that was only 35 from vauxhall.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol I don't think I need new plugs, it would seem the relay that I "aquired" seems to of done the trick... like I said, I'll check them in the morning, but signs so far seem promising

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    lol I don't think I need new plugs, it would seem the relay that I "aquired" seems to of done the trick... like I said, I'll check them in the morning, but signs so far seem promising
    Hey that's great if it seems to have worked for now. However the light going off in milliseconds is different.

Be interesting to see how it goes as winter sets in and it gets colder out.

Good luck, Paul

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.spencer View Post
    Hey that's great if it seems to have worked for now. However the light going off in milliseconds is different.

Be interesting to see how it goes as winter sets in and it gets colder out.

Good luck, Paul
    Well seems I got excited a little bit premiturly

Started this morning... light went out before the others... starts fine (APU) left it tick over, and then the light came on again

Little rev, light goes out, as it did before. So looks like I didn't cure the problem

Next I guess would be glow plugs?
    or shall I bite the bullet and buy a new relay?

ta

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Well seems I got excited a little bit premiturly

Started this morning... light went out before the others... starts fine (APU) left it tick over, and then the light came on again

Little rev, light goes out, as it did before. So looks like I didn't cure the problem

Next I guess would be glow plugs?
    or shall I bite the bullet and buy a new relay?

ta
    Bugger. Could be glow plugs but it could well be what controls them...

From what I've seen on eBay etc its not just a relay but also the relay control unit to consider. Sure looks different than the really basic relay on my somewhat older Astra.

I was looking on vauxhallworldparts.com yesterday and looks like they list a relay for your car at about 17 pounds if I remember correctly. I couldn't get the part number unless I registered. Or you could try call autovaux.co.uk. Or maybe try another scrapyard for both relay and control unit from another the same engine as yours?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast