Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After 24 pages of searching .... Angel Eyes, HIDs & what i need to buy in?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Question After 24 pages of searching .... Angel Eyes, HIDs & what i need to buy in?

Soz guys - i tried the search & it must be in there, but i never saw it. I've a place that'll fit HIDs for me, so i'm interested now.

I've a MK4 Astra & i'll be looking at the dark/black/smoked angel eyes & NOT the chrome ones

From the search i at least picked up the following:

* angel eyes without HIDs will offer total sh!te light output
    * GeordieBandit doesn't rate angel eyes
    * There's debate over LEDs, hotspotting & such
    * There's a hell of a lot of numbers get thrown about

I'll try post this as something easy to answer so it's easy for me to get right

1. Is there any specific make of angel eye headlight i should buy? Most of the search returned "FK" or some other which name i've forgot.
    2. Are LEDs absolutley necessary (regards hotspotting)? Has anyone got a pic of angel eyes with AND without this LED mod so i can decide if they look total crap without the LEDs?
    3. I believe the kits come 4300, 6000 & 8000. This is what i'm looking for from this setup:

• I don't want blue lights! So it's pretty obvious i don't want to attract unwanted (police) attention!!
    • I want quality light output, but i don't want to blind all oncoming traffic with SUPER bright bulbs

3. So.....what numbers should i be looking at? MOst people seem to have the 6000 setup. Is this what i should be looking at? Then there's 35w / 55w. Basically for #3 i'm asking what kit would suit my needs.

4. I want the kit for the dipped lights (2nd turn of the light switch??). I'm thinking this is the H7 HID kit. Does this also cover the side lights? & if the light output is poor with standard bulbs ......... how would the main beam fare without a HID kit for that? Would it be poor?
    That's basically it i think. I don't need to ask anything about fitment as i wont be fitting.

All i want to do is provide the ENTIRE necessary kit for the guys to fit. I don't want them to call me up saying "you've not included [such & such] so we can't fit them for you".
    I also want to make sure i've got the kit that'll suit my needs with regards to correct colour & strength.

If there's nothing that'll suit the needs, then i'll have to write off angel eyes & HIDs. Just so long as i know

Help on this much appreciated. Cheers.

Status
    couldn't care less!
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Okay here goes:

1. FK's are pretty high standard and one of the few angel eyes that retain your headlight levelling system and there quite easy to set up.

2. Never had LED's in mine. They dont look too bad without them:

3. Id go with 6k on a 55w watt kit. Gives a nice blue/white light but doesnt look over the top.

4. The sidelights wont be covered with the HID kit. The "eyes" become your sidelights. With regards to main beam I found the HID kit was that good i rarely used them.

Can i just ask as to why your getting a garage to fit them?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan87 View Post
    Okay here goes:

1. FK's are pretty high standard and one of the few angel eyes that retain your headlight levelling system and there quite easy to set up.

2. Never had LED's in mine. They dont look too bad without them:

3. Id go with 6k on a 55w watt kit. Gives a nice blue/white light but doesnt look over the top.

4. The sidelights wont be covered with the HID kit. The "eyes" become your sidelights. With regards to main beam I found the HID kit was that good i rarely used them.

Can i just ask as to why your getting a garage to fit them?
    1. That'll do me nicely then. From what i picked up, FK's appear to be "the brand" to go for.

2. Umm, personally, i can't really tell much difference between your pic & those with LEDs fitted, other than your light is perhaps a bit yellow, whereas LEDs are more white (i guess THAT is THE difference though lol). If it's just light colouring that changes, then i'm really not bothered tbh. I think the pic you posted looks fine & i'd be happy with that.

3. You say blue/white. See, one thread i found in the search was a guy who had his lights fail because the MOT tester deemed them to be blue. I don't want some arsey chap failing mine because they're blue. From what i've picked up, the majority of people opt for the 6000k's though. Are the 4300k's not powerful enough or something?
    Also, it is the H7's i'd be getting isn't it? As i've read about H7's, and H7-somethings.

4. The "eyes" bring the ring things? I see. That'll do i guess. Would i use my current standard bulbs then for the side lights or what? Would bulbs come provided? How would that work (Q applies for main beam also).

bonus Q: if you look back through my posts mate, you'll see why i'm getting a garage to fit them I ask a lot of Qs (but only because i want to cover all bases before taking things on to minimise feck ups & cut out costly errors). I struggle a bit with the mechanics side, but i'll have a bash at certain things. Anything electrical i will rule out. I'm hopeless. Any wiring & such like, forget it. I'd rather pay a garage to do it. I've been quoted £30 to fit & i'll happily pay that so that i don't balls up the job doing it myself.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I went for 4300k for the HIDs for my shark eyes

4300 will be slightly brighter than 6000 as the whiter light penetrates the darkness better

I went for 35w but if I was buying some now I would get 55w - the 35w are good but 55 would be better
    Flame Red 2002-02 Mk4 1.6 SXi RIP
    Flame Red 1997-R Corsa 1.4 8v
    Back in an Astra Silver 2000-X Mk4 CD 1.6 16v

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vMatt View Post
    I went for 4300k for the HIDs for my shark eyes

4300 will be slightly brighter than 6000 as the whiter light penetrates the darkness better

I went for 35w but if I was buying some now I would get 55w - the 35w are good but 55 would be better
    Ahh i get it, the higher the number the gets (4300>6000>8000) the bluer the light gets, but the lower the number gets (8000>6000>4300) the brighter the light gets.

If that's the case, why doesn't the majority of people on here have 4300s? I would've thought most members here would've wanted to stay away from the blue lights?

When you say your 4300s are brighter, how brighter? Are we talking in a good sense, or in a blinding oncoming traffic sense (am really wanting to stay away from this as if i get flashed by every other driver, i'll end up ripping the things out lol). 4300s aren't offensive are they?

Yeah, i read up, i think it was Geordie who said it, that for the difference in price, you should opt for 55s over 35s.
    All numbers to me, and i can't picture the differences.

to try and wrap this up then:

* So to keep well away from blue lights, i should go for 4300s only?

* opt for the 55w set of H7s?

^^ & the above wont be offensive (i.e. wont irritate oncoming traffic) & also will be white light & NOT blue light?

Just want to get that cleared up & then i think i'm good to go buy in the goods.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    FK angel eye's are one of the most popular and the most talked about with problems. Quite a few people including myself have had problems leveling them and the light pattern seems too be wide which my mot station could not get them right. They also need Hid's as the standard bulbs don't give off much light. I have recently got rid of mine for the new ultra angel's with the ccfl gas which are bright as hell and a pure round circle where as the FK's use 3 to 4 tiny bulbs which light the angel eye's. Led style one's tend to give quite a dim circle. A photo of my ultra one's.

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate just fitted 6000k 35w H7's in my smoked FK's and they are bright as mate. Not put 286 leds in the halo part yet thats my next job. The allignment on mine seem fine so that was a bonus but gunna get them checked out soon. I would recommend these to anyone. Cheers
    Lowry's 2.0 DTi Diary - The Story.....Ended
    Gone.....But will be back soon!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the difference in brightness between 4300 and 6000 is very small and you probably wouldnt notice

the colour isnt that different although would be noticable side by side

6000 most likely wouldnt result in a pull however I didnt want to take any chances and wanted a pure white light.

not the best pic as its daylight but you can see just how white they are

as far as I am aware they dont cause any problems for other drivers, I've never been flashed for them and I have them on pretty much constantly
    Flame Red 2002-02 Mk4 1.6 SXi RIP
    Flame Red 1997-R Corsa 1.4 8v
    Back in an Astra Silver 2000-X Mk4 CD 1.6 16v

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I think i'll opt for FKs. I know i've read more issues with these, but by percentages, if the majority of people have FK's, you're going to hear more negative stories, or at least be more likely to. That's obvious.

Sounds like 4300s are the set i'm after. 35s or 55s i don't know. Think i'll opt for 55w's.

That just leaves 2 things & i'm good then:

1. What about the bulbs for the other lights (i.e. side light, main beam). Do these come provided? Do they use your old bulbs that are in the standard light unit? Do i need to buy in some certain bulb (note: I'm just going to be using HIDs for the dipped beam).

2. Would the garage fitting them likely do headlight alignment or is that sort of job just for a MOT centre?

Am sorely tempted to buy this gear in now, but i'm supposed to be saving! lol.

EDIT: As no reply yet, i'll get in a final 3rd question as i'll only end up asking it later...

3. I've got a brand name to go for for the headlights. Any recommended eBay sellers for the angel eyes & also the HID kit? Are they all the same or what? If not, then i'd rather not be buying in some knock off tat that'll last 2 months & that's it.

That must surely be all bases covered now with those 3

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post

1. What about the bulbs for the other lights (i.e. side light, main beam). Do these come provided? Do they use your old bulbs that are in the standard light unit? Do i need to buy in some certain bulb (note: I'm just going to be using HIDs for the dipped beam).

2. Would the garage fitting them likely do headlight alignment or is that sort of job just for a MOT centre?

3. I've got a brand name to go for for the headlights. Any recommended eBay sellers for the angel eyes & also the HID kit? Are they all the same or what? If not, then i'd rather not be buying in some knock off tat that'll last 2 months & that's it.

That must surely be all bases covered now with those 3
    Soz to be a bit of a PITA guys, but was just after the above clearing before i bought in anything & booked the car in for the fitment.

Reason being, i'm going to do it on my week off work i think so it causes less inconvenience to me/work & i don't want the chaps to be telling me i'm missing stuff. That part is more to do with Q1 i guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast