Thread: Smell Of Petrol MK5

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smell Of Petrol MK5

I have recently brought a MK5 Astra from Vauxhall and i keep getting a smell of petrol, the woman behind the desk was asking me stupid question but there expert tech could not find anything wrong, has any body got any ideas of where the smell could be coming from, have tried to locate the fuel filter but with no luck.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have had this problem ever since the fuel pipe into the engine came loose, when I got that fixed the smells still seems to be lingering.. so im not sure if there is another problem or what the case is but if u do find out please let me know.

Thanks,
    Michael
    MicH

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    iv also had this wud like to know wot it is :S

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    might sound stupid, but make sure the fuel cap is done up tight
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i love the smell of petrol

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive seen a few vauxhalls with a small crack in the fuel cap causing a real strong smell of fuel in the cabin and outside of the car. if you drop the cap on the floor they crack pretty easily.it can be hard to see the crack sometimes so take a good look.
    well worth checking before looking at anything else.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine has been back 4 times for this exact reason!!
    First 3 times they fobbed me off with the whole 'your not tightening your filler cap' crap! I insisted different mechanics look at it and even took it to two different vauxhall garages.
    On the forth visit I was again told the same excuse, after argueing for a good 30 mins the manager told me that when my ecu was plugged in it stated my cap was loose.. I then took this same manager to the petrol station and filled up my car, tightened my cap and made him check it.. After a test drive he denied the smell but ordered all new filler pipes as I was so unhappy.
    A week later the parts arrive, my car goes back to then be told my cap was loose again. A very unhappy me argued their manager was with me the last time I filled up and he had double checked it - they then re-checked it to find I had a faulty filler cap! I've been told it was probably for the wrong car all along!

My friend also has a Corsa D, hers went back for the smell of petrol this week and she has a leaky fuel filter.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same problem, they told me its a fault with the mrk 5s. even tho you click the cap round a couple of times they still come loose.

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My Mk5 Sri had this problem, it is a fault with the seal on the fuel cap, i have had three new ones and at last i seem to have one that is ok so no more smell. There are alot of people on here and other forums that have had the same problem. Jxx

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same problem with the filler cap not seating correctly. Found if I pushed down to hard and turned to much ie heard to many clicks it would smell of petrol. Now I just put enough pressure to locate and turn one click. If it as worked properly you should feel some resistance if you try to turn to undo. When I filled up the first couple of times and noticed the smell every time the cap would be loose to undo. Hope this makes sense, hope yours is just the same save buying new one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast