Thread: loud diesal sound

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

loud diesal sound

hi people... hope somone can help.. i hav 2.2 astra coupe.. when i first start engine from cold it sounds like a diesal engine for about the first 5mins of startin and drivin it.. but as soon as the engine temp needle starts 2 move up and engine warms up abit the sound goes away and engine is quite as anythin! is it cos the engine oil isnt lubing up the timing chain when the engine is 1st started? i'v even had people ask if my car is a diesal when theyv heard me start it up from cold!! how embarressin! other then the sound on cold start up the engine runs very smoothly

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    may b piston slap hav a look at this thred
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=220052
    i was thinking i had it but mines not like a diesel sound and a garage sed it sounds like the injectors pulsing or sumink
    hope it aint piston slap people say its a rebuild 2 sort out

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i dont think it is pistion slap as it doesnt last very long.. max about 5mins... i dont think the engine would be hot enough in that amount of time 2 expand... its only if i havnt driven the car.. like when its left over nite... i can park it durin the day and drive it few hours laters and i wont get any noise.. if there was a prob wiv the timing chain ie it needed changing i would of thought it would be noisy all the time.
    i used 2 use 5w-30 fully synthetic engine oil.. but since i changed 2 10w-40 it seems to hav made it abit quiter.