Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything to be avoiding on the underside of the car?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Anything to be avoiding on the underside of the car?

We have a pit at work & i'm been thinking more about the idea of having a crack at waxoyling the underside of my car. For the price of a tin, you can't knock it.
    Chatting to the chap who runs the garage, they also have the kit to spray on the stuff, rather than brush it on, which makes things even easier.
    As well as this, they have a very powerful jetwash.

Looking on youtube & reading some guides i found, i found you've to clean the underside of the car 1st before waxoyl application (such as spray/wash & also wire brushing rust off)

So my question is this:

1. What should i really be avoiding spray/washing under the car? If anything. I suppose common sense would don't send blasts of water from direct under the engine. Anywhere else?

2. Anything i should NOT apply waxoyl to? I've read the exhaust as that will stink & peel with the heat. But what else shouldn't be getting applied?

Anyone else here had a bash? Reckon it's worthwhile?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nothing really just dont spray exhaust but make sure you get inside all the chassis rails and nooks and crannys. Its pretty much spray what you can get too otherwise. Also get some in the bottoms of the doors where the water holes are. Anywhere water sits spray plenty on.
    Dont Hate the Player...............Hate the Game

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I had a gander on youtube but the selection of videos are pretty poor.

One vid which seemed the best out of the bunch, showed a guy sticking the hose into the door & wings & such. I haven't had a look, but i'm sure i've not spotted any "access holes" like that.

I've never really seen a badly rusted MK4, but have read recently on here about cases. Was thinking of just going total underside & the arches

on the topic of the arches ...... how would you get spraying in there without getting all the cack all over the wheels? I'll be driven over a pit. Would you just take the wheels off for the job? Surely not as i bet people have done it without a pit.

I'm with you on nooks & crannies, but chassis rails? Umm, eh? lol. Soz for being dim, but are we basically just talking anything viewable other than the exhaust?

Do you generally leave the engine bay alone when it comes to waxoyl (i suppose you can do the battery tray as that's prone to it isn't it? But other than that?)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It really is upto you how far you go as in my eyes it cannot do any harm to protect the car from water. As for the two chassis rails under the car they sometimes have holes in just spray inside if they dont have holes then dont worry about it.

Arches Take the wheels off i would do that if i was working in a pit or on a jack.

Under car just spray everything apart from exhaust basically.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    That'll do nicely fella. Cheers.

I know they've got these hydraulic lifters in the pit at work (tiz a HGV garage). Dunno if everything's going to be a bit too big for working on a car. Might have to stick the jack in the boot to be on the safe side.

See if i can do it without waxoyling myself

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Give the underside a good going over with a stiff brush to remove as much dirt as possible, presurre washing the underside will only remove a small amount of dirt, you really want to get as much off as possible before waxoiling it. Make sure the underside is bone dry, personally I would get a heat gun to go over it, especially for the hard to reach areas as the last thing you want to do is get any water trapped when you do it.

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If at all possible try doing it over a pit with a strip heater under the car ( not too hot ) just something to reduce the moisture, as once you seal it, it inhibits the moisture within and will still rust
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes i forgot that bit it must be absolutely bone dry ....... opps

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Make sure the underside is bone dry, personally I would get a heat gun to go over it, especially for the hard to reach areas as the last thing you want to do is get any water trapped when you do it.
    I read that it doesn't need to be dry as the waxoyl displaces the water (or something like that)...? I thought it sounded a bit too good to be true though.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The underside of the MK4 is very well sealed anyhow, though I agree, inside the wings and wheel arches do seem to rust easily after 5-6 years onwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast