Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Systems - Cybox, GT3 or Sportex?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exhaust Systems - Cybox, GT3 or Sportex?

I've done quite a lot of searching and now need to finally make up my mind. I've narrowed it down to these three:

Cybox - £214.99 posted
    GT3 - £149.95 posted
    Sportex - £164.00 posted - dependant on the back box (whether i can swap it for one of the twin exit ones.

I prefer the twin exit exhausts, which the first two are. However although the sportex is a single exit, they do twin exit back boxes too so maybe i could make a deal with the seller.

The cybox is quite a bit more expensive than the other two, any reason? And any reason the GT3 is the cheapest? Does this reflect on the quality or lifetime of the system?

Also, sorry if there are loads of posts asking the same sort of question but when searching i couldn't find one specifically asking this .

Cheers
    Sam

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i believe the cybox is better quality stainless steel than the gt3

i've got a cybox and i'm perfectly happy with it
    Flame Red 2002-02 Mk4 1.6 SXi RIP
    Flame Red 1997-R Corsa 1.4 8v
    Back in an Astra Silver 2000-X Mk4 CD 1.6 16v

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah right ok, did you go for the straight through? Or pay the extra £25 for the centre silencer?

And although it says you don't need to buy any other parts, do you? As some things i've read (not for this exhaust but for other products) say that it comes with everything you need but realistically you need something else. Does that make sence?

And just out of interest which tailpipe design did you go for?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey buddy ive got the cybox system if you get a chance pop into the biography section and look up Gavin's (fuzzygavino) - Astra 1.6 16v Sxi 2002 you can see loads of pics of the system. I love it sounds awesome, not to rude boy which is exactly how I wanted it, but its loud enough to get attention as you roar past, got to run it in a bit though I found from when it was fitted to a few weeks later the tone was dramatically different, fitting was pretty straight forward a lil adjusting was all that was needed and hey presto. I did have a number for the cybox fella he’s really helpful to chat to if your unsure of anything, if I find it all post it here. Hope this helps. Gavin

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cybox do use a better quality SS than the GT3, not sure on the Sportex. The centre silencer really does work well to keep the noise subtle but different. With all this MOT regulation stuff going on at the moment I think the centre silencer is probably essential.

Can't fault mine

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's great!! I'll have a look for your thread. Think i'll go for the cybox as it does seem the best. Any opinions on the other two?

Gavin, what do you mean it needs running in? Do i need to drive more carefully or something for a couple of weeks? And how does the sound change? For better or for worse?

Cheers

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It will sound a bit boomy for a week or two until it carbons up a bit. Mine is much much quieter now than it was when fitted last year.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Like NRY says about running it in, and NRY was the reason i got mine, good review from him was all i needed to hear. As for the other options you mentioned i cant honestly say, after i got mine most of my mates all followed the cybox path different pipe exits single and doubles. I think if you hop on youtube there are some videos of people running the gt3 stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fW3nG8-gTY

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've got the additional centre silencer

theres sometimes when I think its too quiet but its a good noise, theres a nice growl on accelerating but when cruising its near silent

when fitting i would recommend using new flange bolts, a new o-ring gasket for the flange and new rubber hangers
    Flame Red 2002-02 Mk4 1.6 SXi RIP
    Flame Red 1997-R Corsa 1.4 8v
    Back in an Astra Silver 2000-X Mk4 CD 1.6 16v

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    GT3 ... FTW!!

GT3 are cheaper because they are only part stainless, the rest of it is mild steel. Which to be honest I don't see as a biggie, it should last 3 years easy, if not 5. Will you still have the car then?

Anyhow, my GT3 was incredibly loud.

I would point out that the GT3 or Cybox might not be a perfect fit. The hangers will often need some gentle clobbering using a weapon of choice to make them sit nice and flat.

HTH.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast