Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know anything about Mountain Bikes?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool Does anyone know anything about Mountain Bikes?

Ive just bought myself a Carrera Fury 20'' Mountain bike as part of a 'cycle to work' campaign at work, its ended up costing me just shy of £200 which for a £530 bike is pretty good Does anyone know anything about this bike? I bought it basically cos it looks good, Im going to attempt to do some downhill stuff in the lakes at weekends, nothing major, just for a bit of fun!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_165499#dtab

Also, I get £75 worth of accesories of my choice free, have to be from halfrauds though, can anyone recommend me a good light set, helmet, and lock? Dont want to be buying something the bike theifs can just crack open!

Cheers in advance
    Driving Audi TT 225 Q

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have one of these forks are very heavy but a pretty good buy all in all
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If Your doing downhill stuff, get a fullface helmet....trust me

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't have thought so as it's a hard tail
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a Carerra but the Banshee x model and I think its realy good, a little heavy but a good all rounder. Get a helmet though if your going to do some down hilling dude!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not a bad spec bike for the money TBH mate

i would upgrade to SRAM X7 mechs all round and maybe some long travel forks, but for money you cant go wrong!
    No longer GSi power
    Dirty Derv Decked Vec is the way forward for me!

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    can you be more specific on the type of downhill you will be doing? You should be fine with the bike but please be aware of your limitations and the bikes. Try and find out the rating of the trail, I wouldn't recommend you do anything black or red graded on a hard tail unless you know what you are doing.

Also totally agree if its a true downhill trail wear a full face and some body armor accidents happen far to easily!

Have fun and enjoy!
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was just planning on some downhill path kinda stuff, nothin like these nutters who you see steaming past you although I wish I had the bottle to do that, but yeah nothing too serious. Full face helmet it is, whats a good lock? My last bike I 'thought' I had a good lock then bike was nicked...
    Driving Audi TT 225 Q

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no downhilling on a fury please, its an xc bike and if you damage it or it snaps then you'll have trouble claiming its warranty unless you lie through your teeth! stick to XC trails, still full of jumps and steep drops and if you're a beginner go to a few trail centres before trying to make your own way, if youre heading to the lakes, grizedale is a good start!

as for the bike, its well specced for the money, even more so if you'd waited a couple of weeks for it to be a 1/3 off, as is tradition at this time of year. It is still a decent bike, nice strong frame (don't know if you noticed but most of the carrera bikes have adopted that frame), this years (assuming you have the white 09 model) avid brakes aren't as good as the tektro's from last years model. You've got yourself a pretty decent bike overall and it will give you much enjoyment,.

as for accessories, if you're no good with the mechanical side, buy a bike care plan, only 14.99 and you can just keep taking it back because any kind of labour is free. especially good as gears will need resetting alot! If you plan on leaving outdoors, get a shackle lock to secure front wheel to frame and a bog old chain lock to secure back wheel and frame to a fixed object. you won't need lights unless you actually plan on commuting and as for a helmet, get a normal, decent helmet. you will look like a douche in a full face helmet on blue graded XC trails!

sorry for the essay....

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    do not get a £14.99 price plan!!!

Gears shouldnt need setting if they are done correctly, and a service every 6 months should keep the bike fine, and that will only cost you £30 plus any parts that may need changing.

IF doing downhill - IE graded downhill runs where a full face helmet - reagrdless if you think you look stupid - its your head not theres.

If doing XC get a normal helmet or a piss pot like I wear as I hate the open skull helmets.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast