Thread: Metal on metal noise

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Metal on metal noise

Hi, recently i've been hearing a metal on metal scratching noise coming from the front of the car when driving. It seems worse when i turn sharply left but goes away if i even lightly tip the breaks. Also had to break quite hard while coming to a stop going down a slope and there was an extremely loud grinding noise and bit of vibration. The grinding continued for a short while afterwards when i had to break but lessened. It this coming from worn brakes or bearings or something else? I dont have any break warning lights but i dont trust my warning lights seeing as i discovered lately that the engine was nearly bone dry of oil but there was no warning light for that either!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Scruff, sounds to me like your break pads have worn out. In my, (limited) experience the break warining lights are for something terminal. The pads should only take a few minutes when taken to a garage.

If your looking for a deal see if quick fit are doing the "Replacement Brakes for life" promo.

Cheers

Otis
    SXi <---> 1.6 <---> 16v

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi i had the same problem about a week ago (and still have lol) but mine was when i was turning right and has soon as i strightened up again it went away. I stripped all my breaks down and made sure the backing plate wasnt touching anywhere and it turned out to be a sticky caliper. When i pressed me brakes the piston was pushing the pads out but when i released the pedal again it wasnt retracting again making it stick and rub. I was just going to post on here again to see if it is at all poss to some how greese the piston up to see if it starts moving freely again.