Thread: Switch and Cig Socket

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Switch and Cig Socket

Okay so I decided to add some switches for some stuff like neons etc onto the bit were the traction control sitches are normally, I dont have this so got some switches from halfords. Now everything sits right and looks fine but when I switched it on the power cable I had for the neon em.................melted and smoked, now its a mess of plastic and bare wire but also the cig lighter socket doesnt power up, ( I should say I added a socket by wiring it into the cars standard one, worked fine until I tried this) checked the fuse it blew so replaced it but also removed the wires going to the switch but the same thing blew a fuse again when I tried to put something into the standard socket, any1 have any ideas whats going on, also the switches have three prongs one earth one load and the other something any1 confirm to me how these should be wired?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just had thought that I wanted to add, if I attached the wrong set of wires to the switch load and earth and live parts would that cause this issue also if iot would does that blow the switch aswell?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    If there are three connections on the switches I'm assuming they are meant to light up in some way when you switch them on. If so connections will be Power in/Power out/Earth, not neccesarily in that order..
    Can you post pics of the switches/connections.
    Sounds like you've wired them up wrong
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i just checked the switches have three prongs 1 earth 1 supply and 1 load

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    OK, supply is power in (from cig lighter/fuse box), Load is power out (to Neon's, etc)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got a day off work to finish so im back, ok so I've got everything wired up and the switches work and all the neons work fine, but I've got the centre console with the 5 inch screen in there now when I plug this in the switches dont turn it off an on and when it is plugged in the f'ing wire heats up then goes on fire (eventualky didnt let it get that far just smoke) now this is when it is plugged into socket that is controlled by a switch and it doesnt matter fi the switch is off on on for the screen it would power up otherwise, anybody know why this might be or what I can do to fix

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how much wil over load the cig lighter socket i have footmell neon taped into it and the rear lights aswell onlt on when the doors oopened and gonna put some gauges in too using the cvig feed the footwell lights can be turned on of the cig am i over loading?
    Mk4 ASTRA 1.7DTI Estate On 126K Miles Now 127k 11/10/2008 - - 129K 28/11/2008 - - 130k 04/01/2009 -- Now 138k 08/05/2009 Now 142k and a broken Diff -- 144K

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    any1 got a clue i just spent 2 hours and the same thing happened again, only thing i can think is maybe the wires are low qualty or something

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The standard cigarette lighter is fused @ 15A.
    If you have a wire overheating it is either too light for the power required, or whatever it is feeding is faulty & drawing too much current.