Thread: turbo flutter/stall

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

turbo flutter/stall

I am getting alot of turbo flutter when I lift off/change gear. Sometimes it dumps correctally, but most of the time it flutters.

I have just taken off my bailey dv incase it was that but its still doing it

I have always left the spring in the oe dv

Any ideas? could a split hoze cause it? Its am still holding boost ok

Most annoying as it sounds

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Turbo chatter / flutter sounds great, mine does it all the time. Many will go on about its bad for the turbo etc etc, don't believe everything you hear as in my case if it had the standard airbox on it would be barely noticable, on all turbo astras ive seen with a good open cone filter on, or no airbox on they all tend to do it to some extent.

Don't suppose you have an induction cone type filter fitted do you? if so most likely that whats allowing the noise back out rather than an airbox which will dampen it.

Only other thing i could suggest is to check the vac with your boost gauge and make sure its as it should be, if its lower than should be then odds on youve got a vac leak somewhere.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive heard standard turbos with cone filters and none chatter.

chatter means the wastegate isnt opening to get rid of the boost and its being sliced as its being pushed back through the turbine. it does sound cool, and its not as evil to the turbo as alot of people make out, but it could cause the turbo to stall, and thats when the damage starts to happen.
    EDS Stage 2 SRI-T 263bhp - 290ftlb torque
    A clean car is a happy car!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sorry palmer I thought the waste gate opens to stop the turbo over boosting and the chatter is from the oe dump valve not working as it should and as excess pressure from the throttle boddy closing goes back through the blades not the wastegate ?
    Astra van gt3076

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano2k0 View Post
    Turbo chatter / flutter sounds great, mine does it all the time. Many will go on about its bad for the turbo etc etc, don't believe everything you hear as in my case if it had the standard airbox on it would be barely noticable, on all turbo astras ive seen with a good open cone filter on, or no airbox on they all tend to do it to some extent.

Don't suppose you have an induction cone type filter fitted do you? if so most likely that whats allowing the noise back out rather than an airbox which will dampen it.

Only other thing i could suggest is to check the vac with your boost gauge and make sure its as it should be, if its lower than should be then odds on youve got a vac leak somewhere.
    total agreed with you they dano2k0 even with a band new turbo and waste gates they still chatter and there is nothing you can do about it,
    on my vxr turbo it has allways chatted and it hads been on for 47000 miles with 282bhp so dont think they is anything to worry about

there is not one turbo car that you will not hear a chatter back if you have an cone filter

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    erm....... i dont get chatter?? I have open cone, but i removed the rear BCS and VAC box and now it doesnt chatter? I also upgraded to 3mm silcone vac lines
    www.chilled-rc.net For all your RC car/boat/heli/plane needs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Of course flutter is bad.

You want a dump to be as fast as possible.

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nyzrox View Post
    You want a dump to be as fast as possible.
    Unless you have a good book to hand.

You could have a look at the Forge Diverter Valve as they usually help eliminate the problem.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    theres many myths and stories about chatter!

the technically reason is that the air which has boosted through the turbo is stopped by the throttle butterfly closing and the excess boost forcing back into the turbo. it causes the forward motion of the turbine to stall or flutter as the air is forced back, that causes the sound people call chatter. it usually happens because of 2 reasons, too much boost being forced into the intake chamber, or if theres a fault with the DV and its either not re-circulating, or dumping into the atmosphere....

it "can" be bad for the turbo if a very high boost level is being run, but its not an instant thing, could be 10k before it makes much difference (depending on turbo condition)

as Nyzrox said, the best thing is to dump any unused boost as soon as possible, either by standard or aftermarket DV.
    No longer GSi power
    Dirty Derv Decked Vec is the way forward for me!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    check the rear bcs pipe has not split (the rubber where it attatches to the bcs) as iv had it split and cuase this noise before.

hope this helps solve the problem
    astra sri 2.0 turbo xp sports hatch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast