AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Follow Glacious On Twitter Add Glacious on Facebook

Help Needed :( Bloody Garages

Hey All

Just wondering if I can get some advise really, I have had an oil leak on my car for about 2 months now and I have taken it to a garage 3 times now to have the oil pressure switch replaced (£97) and it wasnít that, also the cam seal replace along with a water pump and new battery (£267) and this didnít do anything the cam seal I mean, and I took it to another garage and they replaced the Sump Seal and gasket and charged me £230 and I take it home and low and behold it still leaks.

The leak only ever seems to occur when I do quite a long drive i.e. some time on the motorway, on short journeys it doesnít do anything the leak is directly below the sump and you can very easily smell oil whilst you are in the car.

I told the garage this after paying £230 and they said bring it back and we will fix it for free, I phoned them today to ask what was wrong and I was told apparently its to do with some kind of oil pressure seals that only spurt out oil when they havenít been cleaned and when I get to a certain speed. He continued to ask if my car had ever over heated and how many owners it has had as I said its never over heated since Iíve had it.
    End of the day they said they will clean these oil pressure bearing things not a clue what he was on about and this should rectify the problem.
    Is this true or false that a oil leak can start once I get to a certain speed or temp as its only on long drives??? I am just getting fed up of garages not having a clue!

Cheers and well done if you managed to read all this and make sense of it all.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sound's like they filling you full of shite!

You've also been ripped off, an oil pressure switch costs less than £5 and takes about 5 minutes to change so £97 for that was a joke, as with the other thing's, way over priced!

Can you not see where the oil is coming from?, best bet would be to chean everything off then take it for a run and have a look.
    Astra SRi Turbo
    281|317

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your oil leak, is it from the front right hand side of the car? My coupe seems to be leaking alittle bit as well.
    Speed cameras don't work.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As above, they're talking shite. The leak will obviously weep more oil the more you drive Dont give them any more of your money.

I have become good at finding oil leaks since buying my Vectra lol.

What engine do you have?

The fact that you can smell oil tells me that the oil is leaking onto the exhaust somewhere. Have you checked that the oil filter is tight? It might be worth replacing that as if the seal on it is brached or hasnt been smeared with oil when being fitted, it could leak. And just because the sump and rocker cover gaskets have been changed, if they have not been done carefully and correctly, they will just leak again.

As above, cleaning everything up and going for a drive, then looking again will definetly find you your leak. That has worked for me every time.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Apprently they have cleaned it which they did actually do and then took for a drive and the saw it was coming from the sump, they changed the gasket of sump and seal and still leaks in exactly same place.

and yes it was from the front right of the engine at least underneath. So confussed

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    TBH by the sounds of it I would not be at all confident that this garage had carried out the sump gasket replacement properly. The sump mounting flange and corresponding surface on the block must be cleaned very thoroughly to remove all traces of the old gasket.

The sump has to them be torqued down properly. I'm not aware of a specific sequence for this, but I would guess its working from diagonally opposite bolts inwards or something.

I had my Vectra's sump replaced a few weeks ago by a good garage as the gasket was leaking. I didnt trust myself to do this right on my own. I'd look at going to a reputable place and having the whole sump replaced in case it is warped a little.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I just spoke to them on the phone and car is ready to pickup apprentely and they have cleaned out the Breather pipes .... whatever that is could that cause any kind of oil leak if they where dirty or clogged up ??

Cheers IainL

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'm not sure if this would cause a leak, but the oil return pipe on my Vectra was very clogged and was causing the oil to back up to the top of the engine and aggravated the existing leak at the rocker cover gasket.

I'm guessing that blocked oil breathers would increase the pressure on any gaskets and seals, although I'm not really sure. My mechanical knowledge kind of ends at this point lol!

Hopefully that will be it sorted, wlthough I still suspect the sump and gasket.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Gt car home today hoping all was fine, Went to work and low and behold got to work and i have oil leak again! 5 times now to a garage man I am getting SOOOO at the moment

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisC View Post
    Sound's like they filling you full of shite!

You've also been ripped off, an oil pressure switch costs less than £5 and takes about 5 minutes to change so £97 for that was a joke, as with the other thing's, way over priced!

well said that man last time i offer to help u offered to fit it for ya !
    Back in an astra and loving it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast