Thread: Smell of coolant under bonnet

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smell of coolant under bonnet

Hi, My Zaf Gsi has a really strong smell of coolant under the bonnet and there seems to be alot of pressure in the water system, there seems to be water flowing through the two pipes into the header tank whilst running. the car does not smoke or loose and fluids and never gets any warning lights on the dash. is this normal?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi M8,
    I'd definitely check on all your hoses and contact points (Head to block, etc.) as you might have a slight leak that's not noticable.
    I smelled coolant a couple of months ago and noticed the small nipple on the header tank pointing to the engine was a slight split in it so bought another HT and replaced it.

Also what temp is it reaching when running? Mine only reaches between 80 and halfway point - but goes to the halfway point when at standstill...

HTH
    If she's not sticking her fingernails into the roof lining and digging her stilettos into the dash then you ain't going fast enough!!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    sometimes i can smell coolant, but i have checked and im not using any, i assumed they jus smelt a bit like that?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sheridan View Post
    Hi M8,
    I'd definitely check on all your hoses and contact points (Head to block, etc.) as you might have a slight leak that's not noticable.
    I smelled coolant a couple of months ago and noticed the small nipple on the header tank pointing to the engine was a slight split in it so bought another HT and replaced it.

Also what temp is it reaching when running? Mine only reaches between 80 and halfway point - but goes to the halfway point when at standstill...

HTH
    Runs exactly the same as yours matey.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsi_lee87 View Post
    sometimes i can smell coolant, but i have checked and im not using any, i assumed they jus smelt a bit like that?
    It would be a very pronounced and noticable smell...
    I always use coolant as it prevents rust and deposit build-ups in the rad...

Same with you M8 I'd check all your hoses and contact points just to be sure...
    Hoses have a bad habit of chaffeing on other pipes etc... especially if you have a steel or alloy boost pipe fitted from std IC to Plenum...

Never hurts to check these things...
    If she's not sticking her fingernails into the roof lining and digging her stilettos into the dash then you ain't going fast enough!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stueygsi View Post
    Runs exactly the same as yours matey.
    If all okay with dash warnings and temp then i'd go for double checking of all points and hoses just to be sure...
    You never know...

I take it your coolant level is not dropping? I think you did say that initially...
    Have you just replaced the head?
    Or anything else coolant related?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if its just started you should be able to locate the smell and after driven the car you should also be able to hear/see any leak as the pressure is still held. front of the header tank is a common problem, other than radiator, or turbo (if you have a turbo) its a case of squeezing hoses until you find any leak

the pipe out the front of the header tank is a common problem as the plastic pipes degrades and splits inside the hose

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sheridan View Post
    If all okay with dash warnings and temp then i'd go for double checking of all points and hoses just to be sure...
    You never know...

I take it your coolant level is not dropping? I think you did say that initially...
    Have you just replaced the head?
    Or anything else coolant related?

Had a new turbo fitted, however it did this before the turbo was fitted.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My Astra has this problem I found a tiny crack in the thin metal pipe that is fixed along the front of the engine. just above the exhaust manifold. I Got a new one on order from vauxhall.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check your little header tank mate.
    Vxr turbo with 360 bearing and twin oils seals & Evoms dv. Cdti airbox 63mm tophat.Milltex cat back and pre cat.. Regal 245 leh phase 1 ipf remap.Whiteline rarb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast