Thread: Need some advice on mk4 diesels

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need some advice on mk4 diesels

Hi, been concidering a turbo diesel astra mk4 van as i do alot of miles for work. (currently in my astra sri) And my folks have replaced there mk5 estate with a sport hatch (estate was sooo handy for picking parts etc up for other project etc

So will either be a 1.7td, 1.7cdti, or 2.0dti

Now i know the cdti is a newer engine, which can be remapped for good gains (cheaper road tax too). but is the older 1.7 or 2.0 any worse/better?

I know the fuel pumps on the 2.0 are prone to failure and very expensive (often effectively writing the vehicle off as it un-economic to replace)

Im not too fussy what to engine/model to go for (will ultimately be down to price), but want to be aware of any downfalls with each
    Gary

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would go 1.7cdti, but they are all very reliable engines generally the 2.0 is nice and pokey but I have still seen a 1.7dti with no mods except airbox and decat (not mapped) make 96hp and 147 lb/ft which is quite good considering.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah cdti is prefered choice, but there more expensive (for once this is going to be a budget project, lol) Do you have any std spec's /figures for each engine in a van?
    Gary

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1.7 dti

Power: 74bhp
    0-62mph: 13.5 seconds

1.7cdti

98bhp
    11.7 s

2.0dti
    98bhp
    11.0 s

all the info you need here
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/...px?deriv=22010 all 3 engines are on there

taff
    id go for the 1.7 cdti they'r newer and cheaper to tax bumping the price up a little bit but worth it pound pound in the long run imoa

98 bhp on a 1.7 cdti mk4? isnt that the mk5

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I know the fuel pumps on the 2.0 are prone to failure and very expensive (often effectively writing the vehicle off as it un-economic to replace)
    In some cases it's not the actual fuel pump which has died.
    It can also be the EDU (the fuel pump's ECU) which sits on top of the fuel pump, that may have packed in, which may just need some simple re-soldering to put right.

It's alway best to check the EDU first, before relying 100% on a 'faulty' fuel pump diagnosis.

I learnt this recently.

HTH

p.s. I have the 1.7Dti engine and I am very pleased with it.
    The other day I got over 60mpg out of it after loads of urban driving and a fully laden 200 mile round trip to the airport. Albeit, we were doing only about 50mph on the motorway stretches (or 650 miles out of £45 of diesel...you do the maths!)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi , I recently got a 54 reg 1.7cdti and it is brilliant, I prefer driving it to my car. It is economical,very nippy, cheap tax @ £120 per year all in all I am delighted with it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1.7CDTi is awesome engine, had mine over a year now nothing wrong, and the power is unreal xD

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a 1999 2.0 DTi Estate.

Admittingly its not the most fun can in the world to drive, and doesn't feel like it has the poke that the bosses CDTi has, but its reliable!

I'm regularly getting 500ish miles from a tank (50litres) for example, I've just done a service on mine, I've only just topped it up with diesel, this time round it had done 589 miles to a tank!!

It pulls like a train! I've pulled a small tractor with mine - but shhh.

I do want to remap it though, as I'm only 23, and used to bombing round the lanes in a very hot Mini (classic) its a weee bit different haha.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    chers for the info people, just to look out for a decent one at the right price now
    Gary