Thread: What a day. HELP NEEDED

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What a day. HELP NEEDED

Well what a day I've had today. A simple job has turned into a complete nightmare.
    I had to change my front discs and pads because they were getting worn, so I started at about 10:30 this morning. Everything was going fine and dandy, got the driver side done with no problems at all, but when I went to take the passenger side disc off I noticed the bolt that srews the disc to the hub was completely rounded off . The only thing I could do was to drill through the bolt and try and get it off that way. After around 2-3 hrs of drilling I finally drilled through the whole bolt, but now the thread is completely f**ked, so now I have to get a new hub. I am so annoyed right now, because of 1 poxy bolt a simple job has turned into an expensive mess.

Does anyone know where I can get a hub from and how much it is likely to cost? It's for a 1.8 mk4 astra sri 5 stud
    I really would appreciate the help at the moment
    It's better to burn out than to fade away

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont panic...... if it's only the small phillips head screw then I would not worry straightaway.
    Your wheel bolts hold your wheel onto the hub and sandwiches the disc

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why can't you extract the rest of the bolt using some extraction tools?

Although not ideal, it shouldn't make alot of odds anyway, its only really a retaining bolt for when you take the wheel off. Some of the kits ive seen that come with bells and disks don't even have a retaining bolt, you have to align the disk with the hub and wheel and then put the wheel bolts through.

Obviously such a tiny bolt isn't going to take the pace, the wheel bolts do pretty much all the work.

Also what side hub do you need? ive got one left over from when i went from my 1.8 to the zlet engine, sold one got one left, can't remember which side i have off hand though!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Re-tap the hole and use a bigger screw,you can get tap and die sets from aldi cheaply it is easy or if it is that bad use a helicoil
    197.2 h.p and 230lbs,not bad for standard

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do you know what I really didn't think about that. The five Wheel nuts will hold the disc on won't it.

I managed to get the bolt out but I was careless with the drilling and ruined the thread on the hub.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont worrie to much the only point to that screw is so that when you take the wheel of the disc doesnt move and keeps the wheel bolt hole lined up

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah the 5 wheel bolts will hold the disk on just fine, will just have to manually align the holes instead of them being pre-set like when that bolt is in.

As above what neil-GSI also said, you could drill and tap a new hole for a new bolt if you really do care... Or a helicoil, or make your own threaded insert and use a die to cut a thread and screw into the hub and thread lock in place.

Alot of options but to be fair is there really any need other than just put the wheel on with bolts through?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all your help guys. After coming on here I ran straight out with a torch and got it sorted. I then took the car round the block a few times to bed the brakes in. There was alot of squeal where the pads were rubbing on the disk. Is this normal or have I done something wrong?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    If you really want to change the hub, do a search on ebay.
    Pattern part ones (try to get SKF made ones) are as good as the Vauxhall ones, but a lot cheaper.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just get some anti squeal or what ever from your local car shop i had this problem as i only did my breaks last week and it sounded like a nun being smashed for the first time it squealed that much
    current mods:badgeless grill, gsi spoiler, scorpion catback, viper induction kit, 17" dotz shuriken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast