Thread: power capacitor

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

power capacitor

i'm looking at hetteing a power capacitor and been looking around and have seen 1.0 fared capacitor and 1.5 fared capacitor. Whats the difference between them? I'm needing one as i have two amps in the so do you need 1 capacitor to wire them up or 2?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats the capacity of them, 1.5 being 50% bigger than the 1.0, you can use one if hoe split the power supply to both amps after the power cap
    Mk4 3 door sxi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a new one for sale with voltage read out if your interested for £50
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Farad caps of this size are a complete waist of money; all they do is look good in your system.

If you’re suffering from power drops then you should be looking a Gel deep cycle battery (Optima Yellow Top) incorporated into a split charge system. The only farad cap that will help otherwise is 20 plus farads; these will set you back around £170 plus

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro..._id/11454.html

Small caps will help minimal power drops during slightly prolonged bass beats in a properly set up SQ sound system. Only really noticed when the system is being referenced under trained scrutiny listening to a reference disc or someone who is into SQ competitively etc (not many ICE owners).

What most people think these things do is cure the lack of power a standard car battery via the alternator is trying to supply but falling to do so. Farad caps hold a charge that can be delivered in a short burst as required, not sustainable power required over and over. It takes time for them to re-charge, during re-charge this power will be taken away from in your case what is an already over burdened demand, hence only making things worse.

Look good but do very little in your case I am afraid.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I bought one yesturday. but then suddenly thought my power cable doesn't have a fuse on it as i have a box that splits the power 2 ways which has fuses in. so would it matter if the power cable had no fuse in to connect to the cappacitor ant then the box that splits it 2 ways?

if that makes any sense lol

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee gsi View Post
    I have a new one for sale with voltage read out if your interested for £50

Cheers for the offer but like i said i bought one yesturday. but cheers for the offer

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W18_KJC View Post
    I bought one yesturday. but then suddenly thought my power cable doesn't have a fuse on it as i have a box that splits the power 2 ways which has fuses in. so would it matter if the power cable had no fuse in to connect to the cappacitor ant then the box that splits it 2 ways?

if that makes any sense lol
    you need a fuse no further than 18inches frpm the battery to protect the car from shorts & even fire

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Like said above; not having a fuse no more than 18” from the battery even though it goes through a fused splitter is asking for big problems. Very high chance of fire in the car if there was any short or problem.

You can spot weld with the power from the battery and a power cable all most.. GET IT SORTED if I was you very quickly.

If you do not understand the basics of ICE, always seek professional advice. Working in the industry for some time I have seen what can happen with bodged ICE, some that were too late for a shop to fix, and left for the Fire Brigade to fix with a hose pipe.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    and i got this cable put in proffesional . what size fuse whould you recommend? i can do this stuff fine just thought it would of been fine as been fitted proffesional guess not. i just won't tell you how long i've been running it like this lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You will have thick power cable running from the +ve battery terminal of the car then through the firewall, into the cabin before going to the boot and your amp.

There absolutely must be a fuse at the battery end. It should be within inches of the battery and most definitely within the engine bay. It may be hidden within plastic tubing. Most complete wiring kits come with the fuse holder for you to fit, some even come with it 'moulded' into the cable. If the system has been put in by a pro then they may have made their own wiring up (i.e. cut cable from a big reel they have). There should have put a fuse in somewhere!

If you do not have a fuse, the first thing to do is to disconnect the amplifier wiring from the battery, tape the end up and fold it away. Then go back to store and slap the person who installed it. Don't accept any bullshit, get a fuse on there.

As for a size of fuse it will depend on the gauge of wire install (the big red wire will usually say on it, could be anything from 0-8AWG) and also the RMS power of your system. In the event that the wiring has been over specified for future use, a smaller fuse rating than the cable's maximum current handling should be installed. For example if your cable will support 2400Wrms (made up figure) but your amp only draws 1000Wrms, fuse for 1000Wrms or 1500Wrms. This gives you maximum protection in the event of any overload/short condition.

Post some info up about your system, components, power ratings, cable thickness etc etc.

If want to add a power cap (above argued re: their actual usefulness withstanding), it is best practice to add a further fuse after the cap. I would personally add one before as well.

Without a cap, you amp chain will have at least two fuses, one on the battery end and one of the amp end (usually built into the amp).

EDIT: So in your system you may have the following setup:-

<CAR BODY>===(-ve)<BATTERY>(+ve)==[FUSE]==|firewall|====[FUSE]==<POWER CAP>==[FUSE/SPLITTER]====(+ve)<AMPS 1 + 2>(-ve)====<CAR BODY>

I've combined the fuse and splitter into one in the above. This is only applicable if your cap will be within 10 inches of the splitter and your splitter has input/output fuses (most do).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast