Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra Mk4 1.6 8V Oil Leak

Hello all,
    I recently bought a Y reg Astra Mk4 1.6 8V. All seemed to be fine but i have now noticed that it seems to be leaking oil from the bottom of the engine. Not knowing anything about cars myself i asked a few questions and I was advised to check the oil cap for air bubbles as the head gasket may have blown. When i did i noticed there was a milky residue on it.

Having looked through the forums the milky reisdue seems to be common with this model of car when only short journeys are done, but there was no real mention of oil leaks. Does this mean that it is likely the head gasket has gone or are there other signs i could look for before taking it to a garage?

Thanks

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mayo normally means there is a leak in the head gasket but could point to other things but not short journeys generally.

The oil under the engine might just be where the oil spilt out of the filter when it was changed and not cleaned up.

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    the 1.6 8v all make mayo under the filler cap and in the cam cover area, it is a result of overcooling and cool air that hits the front of the engine when the car is running, the 16v units run hotter and don't seem to suffer the same. the more short journeys, the more mayo they make. you need to go for a good blast once a week to keep it from building up, using synthetic oil reduces it too. if it was a head gasket fault you would also see it mixing in the water expansion tank. as for the leak, check the oil filter they are known to leak if the seal is overtightened and also look around the sump gasket which is another area for leaks on these

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you both for your response.

After reading Steve1412 response I checked the water expansion tank, which i hadn't done before being a complete novice with cars. I am now even more worried as the liquid seems to be a very watery murky green colour and not a clearly coloured coolant. Am i to take it from this that oil has mixed with the coolant and it is in fact the head gasket?

Thanks

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    no mate, murky green water is fine, the colour will be because of the antifreeze, it turns that colour after it has been heated and cooled many times. If the expansion tank is free of mayo and there is no visible oil sitting on top of the water then do not worry.