Thread: My Astra SRI XP

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello to all,

Well, i've spent a much needed day detailing my car. However, the sun was shining and not the best conditions for cleaning a black car. I have a friend who is a London cabby and swears by a particular polish / wax. He says you can apply in full sunlight. He says it also removes all water marks with no problems. So, i thought i'd give it a go. it's called proshine.

Here is a pic of all products used.

I haven't taken pics during the clean. My neighbours think i'm weird enough due to the time i spend cleaning my astra ( just ask neglected wife and kids )

so, here it is.

1. Engine bay sprayed with chemical guys orange degreaser and left to work.

2. Wheels cleaned with Bilberry and Karcher washer.

3. Engine rinsed with Karcher washer.

4. Car rinsed and then cleaned with Meguiars gold class shampoo and wash mitt. ( including door pillars etc )

5. Car rinsed and dryed.

6. I then tried the new pro shine product. I have to say that it was very hot when i first tried to polish. I usually use meguiars polish but due to the heat it simply didn't want to know. It dried, streaked and would not polish out. The pro shine was excellent. cleaned the water marks and polished beautifully.

Sorry guys, trying to keep up......

Here you go. Engine cleaned with chemical guys orange degreaser and then detailed with 303.

Here's the car after wash and polish.......

Exhaust given a clean with meguiars NXT metal polish. I have to say this stuff is excellent

Finally, wheels cleaned with Bilberry, Ratio 3:1 Polished with pro shine, sealed with poorboys wheel sealant and tyres dressed with chemical guys new look trim gel.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    looking good

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The first picture look promising, except for the bottle of ProShine.

It is neither a polish, a wax nor a shampoo. It is simply a QD type product. Washing you car straight off with this will put more swirls in than you can shake a stick at. The finish isn't really a true reflection of the product either as (don't take this the wrong way) black is very easy to make look shiny. I could get a black car looking just as shiny as yours by just washing and drying it.

Once black is done properly though, it looks like sheet glass.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Looking good mate, but as Gaz has said, that ain't polished - sorry to put a downer on your thread mate.

I used a similar product, and got ripped to shreds by the detailing gurus on here. Since then, I only use the proper stuff, i.e. AG Super Resin Polish, and Megs Fake Wax (can hear Gaz moaning, thats not proper wax, lol!). And now, honestly, would never ever ever ever go back to using the Showroom Shine/Proshine stuff.

The results achieved with the polish and "wax" I now use are so much better than the results the above stuff gives!

Below, a few recent pics of a simply wash and wax (washed using Megs NXT Shampoo + sheepskin wash mitt, dried with M/F cloths, 'waxed' with Megs Stage 3, also wheels with bilberry, and tyres with Megs High Endurance gel):

Wouldn't exactly say black done properly, but its getting there (had initial clay and polish back in July, and is washed once a week, waxed every 2 weeks).

Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here's a picture of my brother's panther black meatllic fiesta zetec-s that I detailed. Bear in mind that this is without paint correction. Products used were;

Wash - Megs NXT
    Clay - Sonus Green
    Wash again
    Dry with Last Touch and Sonus Der Wunder
    Paint cleansed with Zymol HD Cleanse
    Waxed with Dodo Juice Doublewax
    Finished with Zaino Z8
    Plastics with Poorboy's NLD

And it still looks that good after 18months of just washing
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    That does lok rather impressive Gaz, I must say.

How long will mine last before it needs the full clay and polish etc? Seems to clean up very well with the weekly wash, and fortnightly wax.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks mate. I did it as a present for him for when he came back from Germany.

TBH mate, once you've done the initail detail and built up some proper protection with a decent wax (), then about every 6-12 months is about right, depending on how much use your car gets. I do 15,000miles a year and I do mine every 12 months, but then I have over 25 layers of Dodo Juice on it aswell so when I clay, there's hardly any bonded contaminants. I get more contaminants from one wheel than I do from the whole of the bodywork.

Yours personally Mark, buy yourself some Pete's, then get it done before the winter gets here (about 5 coats of wax) and your paint will be protected until the summer comes.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Thanks for the advice there Gaz.

With regards to the wax, I was thinking about going for Collinite 915, simply because it has more in the tin !

I think that mine should be ok with every 12 months if thats how often you would do yours, covering 15k in a year. I average approx 12k. I will continue to wax every other week, possibly every week, not to sure so the wax should build up nicely as you say it should be.

With the initial 5 coats of wax, is that literally 1 coat of wax, then another straight after? How do you need to wait between these 5 coats?

Every so sorry to hi-jack the thread here!

On a separate note, my brother wants his Civic doing before the winter. Jokingly told him I charge, and he took me seriously. Now gotta think what I am going to ask him for doing it!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When building up layers of wax mate, apply, leave for 20mins to cure, then buff off, then leave it 24hours at least. Wash, dry then wax again and so on.
    Yes, 915 has more in the tin, but Pete's will last just as long and gives a better finish. If you're wanting ultimate protection, then for the same as the 915, you can have a 18fl oz. tin of Colly 476s. As long as your prep work is good, then you shouldn't notice much difference between the two.

You wouldn't seriously charge your own brother??

Just get him to do a domino's run half way through
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Hence the reason I said jokingly said it! He just took me too seriously, which by now he should know what I am like - a rather sarcastic bugger at that!

Hmmmmm, domino's ......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast