Thread: Help! Struggling with Cambelt change!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry Help! Struggling with Cambelt change!

I need urgent help.

All was going well with the cambelt change on my astra 1.8 SRI untill refitting.

I have changed water pump, idlers etc and tensioner and it is the tensioner that is causing me problems.

I cannot seem to loosen it enough to get the belt over it easily. I have managed it once (with lots of swearing) as it was really tight but the timing was slightly out so I had to start again. There is no tension elsewhere in the loop, it is definately something to do with the tensioner. When I turn the arm anticlockwise it does move the tensioner but not enough.

Has anyone got any pointers, I am about to kick the damn thing!

I also cannot get the cam sprockets to line up very well without there being quite alot of slack in the belt between them. If I remove the cam locking tool I can move the sprockets a tiny bit to fit better but then the tool will not fit back in and I cant hold them.

Again any pointers?

Ben

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benfinlayson View Post
    I need urgent help.

All was going well with the cambelt change on my astra 1.8 SRI untill refitting.

I have changed water pump, idlers etc and tensioner and it is the tensioner that is causing me problems.

I cannot seem to loosen it enough to get the belt over it easily. I have managed it once (with lots of swearing) as it was really tight but the timing was slightly out so I had to start again. There is no tension elsewhere in the loop, it is definately something to do with the tensioner. When I turn the arm anticlockwise it does move the tensioner but not enough.

Has anyone got any pointers, I am about to kick the damn thing!

I also cannot get the cam sprockets to line up very well without there being quite alot of slack in the belt between them. If I remove the cam locking tool I can move the sprockets a tiny bit to fit better but then the tool will not fit back in and I cant hold them.

Again any pointers?

Ben
    Try to put the belt through the tensioner last. Loosen the screw on belt tensioner (so you can spin the tensioner around and don't put the tensioner teeth through the cut out on the engine block) and try to put belt through tensioner. Once in, rotate the tensioner and put the teeth of the tensioner through the cut out of the engine block..

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Does the water pump not form some of the tension on the belt as well, pretty sure it did on my 1.6 16V that i did a few years back. So it may be that this has been rotated round to far, thus giving to much tension??