Thread: 02 1.6 16v SXi Brake/Clutch fluid

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

02 1.6 16v SXi Brake/Clutch fluid

I have recently bought the above car for my partner which has done 39k miles.

Looking at the service history it doesn't look like the hydraulic fluid for the brakes and clutch have been done ever, but certainly not since 2004! I think it is therefore a priority that I change it over as I am changing the disks and pads over soon.

I have not done it before on my own but seen it being done. I've also watched a batch of Youtube videos on how to do it so I am comfortable with that. I will be employing the services of a "muppet" to press the pedals for me but I was just wondering how I would know when the newer fluid is starting to come through the system if it is the same colour as the old?

Secondly what would people recommend I use? The Haynes states that the fluid should be to SAE J1703, DOT 4 so would something like http://tinyurl.com/yc34yud be a good choice? How much roughly would I need to buy to service the clutch and four brakes?

Also is it worth the extra money buying a brand name over Halfords own?

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    the new fluid will look much lighter that the old as it bleeds out. feed through the system 2 bottles of dot 4, as i do and you should then have fresh fluid throughout. Halfords own dot 4 will be fine.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1412 View Post
    the new fluid will look much lighter that the old as it bleeds out. feed through the system 2 bottles of dot 4, as i do and you should then have fresh fluid throughout. Halfords own dot 4 will be fine.
    Thanks mate. How do you bleed the system? Do you get someone to help you or have you used a pressure bleeding kit like the Gunson Eezibleed?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Remember to bleed in the correct order, rear left, rear right, front left, front right. (You start with the brake furthest from the master cylinder).

I personally dont use a one man kit, just buy a cheapo £5 kit from Halfords and get a mate to sit in the drivers seat and press the pedal.

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    as per john012, i use a two man cheapo bleeding kit and get the Mrs to work the pedal, those one man bleeding kits are rubbish imo.