Thread: pc help...... again lol

Status
    Moderator Friend
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

pc help...... again lol

right as i said in another thread i made the guy i bought my laptop from made a seperate drive from the c drive, this was so he could store all the essential files and programs on the c drive and all downloaded files on a seperate 'f drive' so if anything went wrong virus wise, he could just format the f drive to get rid of the virus and keep the essential files free from viruses.

the question ive got is how can i convert my laptop back so it only runs off c? reason i ask is because i only have 1.2gb on c and 110gb on f, and as c is nearly full i cant download certain files, for example, i want to download itunes but as i dont have a lot of membory on c, it keeps popping up with an error message

i hope ve been clear, i just want a laptop that works properly lol!!
    MK5 1.7 CDTI OWNER AND AN ESTABLISHED MEMBER OF THE DARK SIDE!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why dont you set preferences for itunes and other programs to download straight to drive f.. make new folders in f..call them itunes ect..and set the preference path to that folder in itunes ect..that way you wont involve c drive at all
    there is software on the market that you can make the hard drive one again deleting the parttition you dont want..,,, one is called partition magic...
    Drives a 53 plate Arden Blue Zafira A Gsi 2ltr turbo...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can also insert an windows CD, boot from it and deleted both partions, and then make a new partion using all the space, but you would loose alll your data.
    or like said above, you could just use software such as partion magic

Status
    Moderator Friend
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    have changed it so everything saves to f but still get this message

only way to get rid of it is to delete my browsing history and empty my recycle bin but it comes back within half an hour! also tried downloading partition magic but got this message

to be honest id rather just have 1 drive for everything if you know how to do it?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Move any files e.g. pics, music, documents, etc. that you have on the c drive over to the f drive, that should free up some space.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how big a is "c" drive in total ??...like above move all pics vids and movies downloads documents to "f " drive to free space
    select the option of saving downloaded files to "f" drive ....when you have the option to save. click save then use the drop down to select drive "f" select make new folder and name it EG "AOC download" then click save ,,, it will then auto save to drive "f" ,, not needing to touch drive "c" at all..

Drives a 53 plate Arden Blue Zafira A Gsi 2ltr turbo...

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It's possible that, if My Documents in on C, that any downloads to F or not will try to create the temporary files on C regardless.

Right click the My Documents folder and choose properties
    If the path is C:....then choose the 'Move' button and stick it on F instead

Something like Partition Magic can shift drive space around but unsure how well it would move all the apps etc - it can be successful as I've used it at work to merge partitions to fix the same issue you have.

As asked above, how big is the C drive if it were empty?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it is safger running your computer as it is now, but if you need more space on C:, rather than merge the 2 drives into one, allocate more space to c:. and keep drive F. you can't do this manually without data loss, so use a program called acronis disk director suite, this will get the job done and if i remember correctly it is fairly straight forward to use! Hope you get done what you need to!

Cheers

Rhys

Status
    Moderator Friend
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    c drives total memory is 1.17gb!! f drive is 110gb, thats the main problem im having i think, its creating temporary files and adding them to c drive and as i only have 20mb remaining its not allowing me to save anything.

ive tried transfering stuff from c to f but this wont help it in the long run as it will just clog up again, nry, i will try your method and report back will also try bluesports method. wish me luck

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Easeus Partition master - http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm used it on the missus laptop several times to save important files to a newly created disk, formatted reinstalled windows then combined the drives together again

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast