Thread: i think garage is trying to take my pants down

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i think garage is trying to take my pants down

i had a new head gasket fitted to my 98/99 1400 16v astra by the local garage 2 weeks ago it was also skimmed and pressure tested at the same time on satarday after a good trip it started spewing white steam and coolent out of the exhaust and exhaust fumes out of the expantion tank took it back to the garage on monday morning they took the head off stright away in front of me i noticed that the gasket had blisterd and bubbled in certain places when they lifted it off the blisters corresponded with the holes in the top of the block for water ways to the cylinder head and they thought they had fitted a wrong gasket they rang me up this morning and asked me to come down to the garage they showed me how last night they had filled the cylinder bores up with oil the first 3 where still full no 4 was empty this was the cylinder were the hg had blown they say that the cylinder or rings are worn and this has blown the head gasket but i did a comp test on the engine before i took it down and the results were cylinder1 14 cylinder 2 14 cylinder 3 14 cylinder 4 12 cylinder 4 was the one with the break in the head gasket shurley if cylinder 4 had drunk a full bore of oil over night it would not have shown a compression test of 12 do you think the garage are trying to get my pants down to try to make me pay for the job again they also told me it will hapen again and to get rid of the car streight away who thinks they are taking the pi** ALSO WHEN I LOOKED AT NO 4 PISTON I DID NOT SEE ANY OIL AT ALL NOT EVEN A DROP SAT ON TOP OF THE PISTON AND I DID NOT FEEL ANY RESIDUE LEFT ON THE BORES AT ALL OR EVEN IN THE SMALL GAP BETWEEN THE PISTON AND BORE WHEN I CHALLANGED HIM ABOUT IT HE SAID HE HAD WIPED IT OUT TO HAVE A BETTER LOOK all coments gratfully recived

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get them to sort the headgasket, then see what happens
    Mk4 3 door sxi

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It sounds a bit wishy washy on the garage's part to be fair. if you can i would take the car home and do the test yourself if it is seeping through then do the job yourself and then at least you know its done properly.(and a little bit cheaper too).
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    book a day off work and supervise the job. I threatened a garage we used to use with this and miraculously they said they'd have another look first... surprise surprise they fixed it no bother and no extra cost.

needless to say we never went back - and now the garage has shut down!
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.