AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

diy wheel refurb

whats the best stuff to use
    and do you have any tips for doing so
    winter wheels will be on soon so might refurb them before and the ones on the coupe atm while they off as a project
    thanks
    rich

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well for starters are you usin a spray gun or aerosols

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    dont no i have access to a compressor
    ive been quoted £30 a wheel to have them done
    but id be tempted to have a go first

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well from my experiance you will get a much better finish wiv a gun, and if ya confidant to have a go yaself materials would cost bowt 40-70 dependin on wot colour ur after so id say go for it, ya mite enjoy doin it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    take them and get them sand blasted not shot blasted will cost about 30.00 use a spray gun with an industrial primer top coat and laquer. or spend about 20.00 a rim and take to a powder coating factory and the finish is unbeatable. i done mine 9010 and they havent aged a day in 2 years.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeh powder coating is a lot tougher they dont have a wider range of colours than you would do with wet paint but still plenty to choose from

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    shame my grandad sold his powder coating machine
    dammit

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well ud need a big arse oven anyway to accomodate the wheels lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you wana speak to iansimms2004 he refurbed his about 3 weeks ago
    G t c

soon!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I find refurbing alloys easy; you just need patience and a keen eye.

Start by cleaning them off, use some Mr. Muscle oven degreaser, itís cheaper.

Sand them down with 200grit using a mouse sander you donít have to, you can do it by hand, but its a lot easier and quicker as youíll be doing ALOT of sanding.

Make sure all previous paint blemishes are sanded smooth, this happens because thereís been grease or dirt behind the layers of paint and its swollen.

Next is the interesting and time consuming part, but strangely the stage I enjoy the most.

Get some body filler this is good http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_18 9482_langId_-1_categoryId_165625

once mixed (mmmm the smell), filler the whole rim and lip (trial and error told me to not mess about and just filler all of it lol) inspect the alloys and filler any minute scratches or scrapes (the problem is if these are not fillered, once primed they stand out more and even more so when sprayed silver) so you got to be real scrutinizing about the alloy, more work now is less work later.

Leave it for 30-60 mins, depending on how much hardener you added, but if you mixed them right, it should be ready about then.

Sand the filler flat with the mouse using 200 grit, but not all the way, just help yourself out with the work removing the rough edges.

if you have some 500grit pads for the mouse sand it again, you should be hitting metal and the filler will start to appear like pools, this is where its filling the more deep dents on the rim.

inspect the alloy for any leftover imperfections, if you find any which I think you will (its unavoidable) filler it in again, repeat process.....and again then, lose your rag and throw the bucket across the yard like I did, then repeat again.

Next you want a sanding block, like this
    http://www.seven1seven.com/finemedium-drywall-sanding-sponge-p-5.html?zenid=jgvtspd5k17v0ltaikn36krhn6

it helps you get a flat equal pressure surface.

Wrap 600 grit Wet and dry around it and start sanding it smooth. donít over do it as the real smooth part comes after the primer.

Now rub your whole finger along the alloy rim feeling for raised levels of paint, if you feel any, sand it back with 200/500.

Clean the alloy with clean water and a clean sponge.

Prime the alloys with (if silver is your finish) gray primer. give it a good 3 coats, spray in a light manner, from left to right in a sweeping motion about 30cm away, ideally do this when thereís no wind.

I gave it till the next day to dry as I was working on them during the week after work.

Give the alloy face a very light dusting of black spray paint; this is to help give you a guide as to where youíve sanded, and how much youíve sanded that area.

wait 5 mins, make a bucket of hot soapy water (I used washing up liquid) get your sanding sponge again and wrap some 800grit wet and dry around it(youíre going to need a lot of 800), soak it into the water and rub the alloy face flat over the black spots of paint until they disappear, this shows that part of the alloy is now flat, equal and smooth.

Sand all the nook and crannies, the finish will feel almost plastickey, not quite metal.

Clean the alloy off and put your hands around a cup of coffee as by now your hands will be wrinkled and stiff.

Some areas wonít have primer over them due to sanding (donít worry about this it wonít be noticeable after silver paint, but if you like, you can give it another few coats of primer and give it a light sand of 800.

Have a final inspection and check the outside rim is flat, all areas are smooth, the rim that will touch the tire is smooth and crisp, there are no flakes of filler and everywhere is clean.

Congratulations, the wheel is prepped.

This will take you a few weeks, ill pm you more later, Iím at work J
    Engaged in crime I grasp my throat
    Enraged my mind starts to smoke
    Enforce a mental overload
    Angry again, angry again, angry again
    And again and again, again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast