Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7DTi 2003 Unexplained Coolant Loss

The story so far

Coolant level low, main dealer advised new water pump required, new water pump fitted, coolant level dropped again, topped up advised was just an air lock etc topped up a second time still loosing water ( a litre or so every 100miles),still topping upwater

Main dealer had the car for a week trying to get to the bottomof the problem (no obvious sign of leakage, pressure tested etc etc) had car back, still loosing water

Car has been owned since new and correctly maintained (done 82k), dont know what to do next.

Any know issues for this unexplained rapid water loss?

Hope you can help

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right then mate first thing you need to do is have a good look yourself. But where I hear you say?? Right at the front of the engine where the water pump is there is a metal coolant pipe that runs behind the Turbo. Get it up on a ramp or just jack it up at the front (make sure you put a block of wood or something under in case the jack fails), climb under and look for this pipe behind the Turbo. If the cylinder block has a load of white stains in this area then that is your fault.
    The later spec models had a hard crushable metal like gasket between the pipe and the block but the early ones 2002-03 etc didn't.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face Any luck?

Hi Guys, new to the forum, just wondering of you had any joy with resolving this problem; my 1.7dti astravan has so far had a new head gasket, expansion tank, water pump, thermostat and two more replacement rad caps, still losing about 1-2L per day and my garage are scratching their heads as it passes pressure test no problem and there is no obvious sign of leakage. I am reluctant to take it to another garage in case they cant find the problem either and charge me for the time anyway, and simply because as my garage have already charged me in excess of £600 and still haven't fixed the original fault.

Was it this point in the end causing your fault? I am not a mechanic but I am getting really p***ed off with having to top it up every day! Any advice would be much appreciated. Its a 2002 van by the way, and is otherwise brilliant!