Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to open bonnet when catch broke?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question how to open bonnet when catch broke?

hi all, please can someone help me?

the bonnet catch on my mk4 astra isn't working, the cable is slack as if its stuck from rust in cable, etc. or has snapped?

anyways, how do i now open the bonnet?

thanks

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anyone?

funny how a astra forum is full of astra owners that know nothing?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    u wont get any answers saying things like that

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    u cud smash ur front gril and open it once u took the grill out, thats what id do but otherwise i dno mate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by le-le-b View Post
    anyone?

funny how a astra forum is full of astra owners that know nothing?
    I'll come and smash your grille for you it is the only way i'm not just being sarcastic, given your nice comment though i'd take great pleasure in it... Good luck with smashing it yourself if you wanna though, carefull you don't cut yourself.
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Depends where it broke could use a pair of long nose plyers to basically pull the thing that the bit broke essentially broke.
    ASTRA COUPE 1.8 16v

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob16v View Post
    u wont get any answers saying things like that
    i'm a vectra owner and am a member on vvoc also on z22se as its a 2.2, this is my wifes account as she bought a astra cab the other day!

i have put 3 or 4 astra related threads on here within the last week and had no replys bar one about and exhaust!

vvoc is about vectras and z22se is about all 2.2 vauxhalls, both forums have have 3-5 replys and once again this one has none until you!

please don't take any of that the wrong way, that post did get your attention and now you have replied to my original thread!

Quote Originally Posted by rob16v View Post
    u cud smash ur front gril and open it once u took the grill out, thats what id do but otherwise i dno mate
    so.... thanks for your relpy mate, this is the only way i can think of, was justing hoping that there was away i could do it without breaking the grill?

i'll get a new cable monday as this one is jammed solid so even if i free it up it could do the same again, luckily as we have just got it, it still has the OE grill in but was going to fit the irmy one today! good job i didn't!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can relate to lack of replies to be honest, got several threads that i'm sure no one has even read and it is frustrating, just not good to essentially offend 7000 members in a single line even if it gets interest in your question...

Anyway defo sounds like a broken or slipped cable, might be worth popping the grille through before you get the spare cable as you may be able to just adjust the old one.

I'd suggest snapping out the slats one by one to gain access rather than just kicking it, its held in by 6 fairly hefty screws so if you just hit the whole thing you may damage the holes on the bonnet in doing so.
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is the cable still attached to the handle in the car?

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by graeme647 View Post
    I can relate to lack of replies to be honest, got several threads that i'm sure no one has even read and it is frustrating, just not good to essentially offend 7000 members in a single line even if it gets interest in your question...

Anyway defo sounds like a broken or slipped cable, might be worth popping the grille through before you get the spare cable as you may be able to just adjust the old one.

I'd suggest snapping out the slats one by one to gain access rather than just kicking it, its held in by 6 fairly hefty screws so if you just hit the whole thing you may damage the holes on the bonnet in doing so.
    i understand this and i'm probley right in thinking its about building relationships with the members?

i'm on VVOC like i said and am well know on there, most members know my car and i join in with many threads, and as i said, if theres a thread on there from a unknown member if i'm not 100% sure on whats been asked i'll just ignore it!

thanks for the help now, i have an irmy grill ready to go in and yes i'll break them out 1 by 1, i know were all the screws are so i'll stay away from them so not to damage the mounts!

for the price of a cable i'll get one as i don't want this to happern again and have to smash the irmy one!

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast