Thread: damn Miratec pumps

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)

damn Miratec pumps

How i learn't a hard lesson. decided to do the timing belt, idler wheels/tensioner and renew water pump at same time on my Astra Sxi last week and with cash being tight i purchased a genuine Vauxhall timing kit but a Miratec water pump (only £29) from my local motor factor as Vauxhall wanted £68 even with trade club. After a few days a noise appeared and the car drank water faster than i drink beer. on Monday on the way to work, steam was pouring out the grille and on opening the bonnet, boiling water was spraying from the cambelt cover. Upon stripping it down again, the water pump was partially seized and the bearing and internal seal had collapsed, so as everything in that area was contaminated with boiled water/antifreeze, i had to do the whole job again and buy all new parts and it has cost me £290. The motor factor says Miratec are very good pumps with a no quibble guarantee, but on returning the pump and checking others on the shelf, they too were stiff and squeeking from the bearing. i have filed a warranty claim to try and get some compensation, but don't hold out much hope. so please people AVOID MIRATEC at all costs, it will only be OE parts for me in future and a hard leeson has been learnt

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that's rotten luck mate. I hope that you get some kind of comeback, I pressume that you bought another timing belt or did you reuse the one you had since it was brand new?
    Probably the ONLY Astra Mk3 sitting on Corsa D SXI rims!
    And Now a Diesel on Discs all round!

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=162503

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    Thanks mate, due to contamination with lots of boiled water/antifreeze, i played safe and used a totally new timing belt and tensioner kit. i am just praying that they help me out with the overall cost