Thread: help ??? wheel bearing/driveshaft ???

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy help ??? wheel bearing/driveshaft ???

hi can some one shed some light on my problem ? when driving my zafira at speedsa over 30mph i get a loudish humming noise from the front end. the car has been jacked up and checked for any play in the wheels but there isnt any ! removed both c.v boots back to check for grease and it has plenty ! there is a slight leak of gearbox fluid on the end of the drive shaft gearbox side but other than that im baffled as to what it could be
    wheel bearing / driveshaft / c.v joint / maybe low gearbox fluid
    anyone had the same kind of problem am more than capable of replacing the parts myself but if i put it in a garage they try to rip u off so would rather save my money and do it myself. any help would be aprreciated its a 1.6 16v 1999 model. thanks.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i would of said wheel bearing if its a humming noise, but that my opinion

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    had it checked at garage today they reckon both front bearings are gone ! i also noticed they had 4 mechanics and 3 cars in there so i think they were trying to get some more work and cash out of me ( dont think so nationwide autocentre) jacked it up when i got home front passenger side is making a screeching/catching kind of noise as you turn the wheel small bit of play too so that has had it but front drivers side no noise no play anything ! goes to show if you dont have a bit of knowledge then a garage can take you for a right turd ! any 1 know where cheapest place is to get a new bearing cheapest ive seen is about £75 ????

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    to test a wheel bearing for failure is really simple. Drive to 40 mph, then do a long gentle turn to the left. This loads up the right hand wheel bearing. If the noise gets loud the bearing is gone. Then turn to the right, if noise gets louder the left bearing is gone. If the noise stays constant when rolling to the sodes the bearings are fine. No way both sides are gone thats just the garage cobvering themselves if they get the side wrong. Also when they are really bad you can feel it in the wheel if you jack it up and rotate the wheel. One side will be grumbly the other ok. It could be a faulty tyre, if you think so then swap them front to rear
    Be Happy

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    replaced nearside bearing yesterday and the noise is no more ! new the garage were trying to rip me off ! some how though it seemed to knock out the tracking ????? dont know how as this was not moved but had it retracked today and so far all is well !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good to hear that you have sorted it out.