Thread: Steering column concern

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Steering column concern

Last night when parked up and stationary I leant on the steering wheel to reach something near the windscreen vents when i did this I heard a pop sound and so sat back and noticed with a little force to the top and bottom of the steering wheel in up/down motion on the steering wheel you could hear a pop noise through the column came from near the bottom of the column I reckon.

The column is a fixed column so I am starting to wonder what this could be.

Has anyone else come across this before.

I am going to be taking a look at the connection at the bottom of the column at lunchtime but thought I'd ask here first.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Roy

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its prob the bracket that holds it to the bulkhead, id def get it checked out by a garage tho mate. not the kind of thing u want failing at speed.
    BLACK BEAUTY

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo1 View Post
    Its prob the bracket that holds it to the bulkhead, id def get it checked out by a garage tho mate. not the kind of thing u want failing at speed.
    Cheers for your input stevo1 never thought of that I thought it could be the link bolt thats visible at the4 bottom near the pedals, hopefully STS will be open still on the way home, shall be taking it very steady on the way home

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

I called into STS on the way home yesterday as also noticed a slight vibration between 40 - 50mph I asked if they could check the steering and suspension and when I described the troubles they said its more than likely to do with wheel balancing I thought ok, so they re balanced the front wheels and it seems ok now so its very strange but I am still taking it easy until the weekend and I will be looking at the column issue on sunday hopefully.

Seems they think wheel re balance will fix all problems, which imo is not always the case.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nixoro View Post
    Seems they think wheel re balance will fix all problems, which imo is not always the case.
    That's just like the usually technologically impared people that works in mobile phone shops.

They seem to think that every problem you encounter with your phone can be solved by getting it firmware upgraded.

Does not matter if the screen flickers or you give it to them soking wet and still dripping...They still suggest sending it away for a software upgrade.

Zafiraowner