Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

newb advice

Hey up,
    I wonder if you lads can help me? I'm 22 and I've just been offered a job, the job is great but its around 25miles from my house, this means my daily transport (jreg suzuki jeep) @18mpg isn't going to cut it, Ive been looking at a 2003 vauxhall astra 1.6 8v active, I was just wondering what the opinions are? its 45,000 miles full setrvice history and 1 owner from new, It sounds to good to be true really, Any info on the model and horror stories would be appreciated as advice on what to look for, I've had alook round it looks really clean and like it will fit the bill, with an mpg of 39.4 it should be frugal and quick enough to get me through the 25miles of counrty lanes, the main contender is the ford focus 1.8 CDdi but reading about those (more with the real life mpg) im thinking the best bet will be the astra as its newer, alot tidier, less miles, and cost around the same to run, wheras the focus isnt as tidy, not got a full service history and higher milage (75,000)

cheers lads
    tramp

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    go for the astra every time !!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Given that you're going to be travelling around 1,000 miles a month (with personal mileage on top of that) if i was you I'd go for a diesel. I've just done a quick calculation and you'd save at least £40 a month on fuel (probably nearer £50).

My commute is 120 miles a day and I only drive a petrol Astra because I don't pay for the fuel. If I paid for the fuel I'd get a diesel.
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Astra diesel mate cheap car to run and good mpg.
    Vxr turbo with 360 bearing and twin oils seals & Evoms dv. Cdti airbox 63mm tophat.Milltex cat back and pre cat.. Regal 245 leh phase 1 ipf remap.Whiteline rarb.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I love my astra but i had a 307 hdi and it was amazing on fuel gettin around 550-600 miles a tank costing 45.00
    BLACK BEAUTY