Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unleaded or Super Unleaded

Hi,

Have a Astra SRI 1.6 Turbo on an 08 plate which, according to the manual, recommends use of Super Unleaded fuel. I have used both Leaded and Super Unleaded and haven't noticed any difference in the engine performance. I am aware that Super Unleaded should give better MPG's but to be honest it seems the same as Unleaded. Has anyone on here noticed better fuel consumption with Super Unleaded and more importantly will running Unleaded have any long term issues with the engine?

Cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i always use super unleaded. it give better mpg compared to regular unleaded. tbh i dont think it will cause any harm running regular
    no comment

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i use super in mine and get better fuel consumption.not much only about 40 miles
    GTC SRI 2.0 CDTI

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    tbh, i dont notice any difference between the two. Super is supposed to look after your engine better and is a must if you get your car tuned but on a standard car i dont think its worth it in my opinion.
    For free hugs PM me.

For sex, pm cabriomatt.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    standard 95 ron for me

its more volatile than the higher stuff therefore burns better (how i see it anyway)

only on std map at circa 235bhp so its more than adequate for me

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I used to use 95ron, the local super at 97ron but I actually got less mpg and it ran no better imo. I have since had the car mapped and told only to use 97-99 ron which is understandable, Im now going further afield to get my fuel which is 99ron and I always get better mpg and idling/running from it.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The reason they tell you to use super has nothing to do with fuel consumption... The reason being that the higher the RON Rating the harder the fuel is to burn or ignite, thus when your car advances the timing it can advance it further before it hears knock or pre detonation. With the higher RON fuel it can advance the timing further thus giving you more power. This is why when your car has been mapped they recommend you use super as the car will be running more advance.
    Dont Hate the Player...............Hate the Game

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    I have recently stopped using super in my MK5 1.4 SXi, it would give slightly better performance, and definately a longer range of approx 40-50 miles more.

Recently Shell V-Power has hit 114.9p in my area which is when I decided to take the plunge back to normal 95RON until the prices start dropping again - if they do!

I have heard that an occasional tank of super, say 1 tank for every 4-5 will help look after the engine and clean the fuel injectors out. Not sure if its true, but thats what I've heard!

Oh, and I will never ever ever use Tesco unleaded unless I really desperately need to do so. Ever since the whole dodgy fuel contamination a few years back, no way. Think it may have slightly affected my old MK3 Fiesta as it always seemed to run smoother on anything but Tesco unleaded! Conveniently, I pass a Shell garage on my way home so thats where I fill up!
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Super unleaded for me.
    Vxr turbo with 360 bearing and twin oils seals & Evoms dv. Cdti airbox 63mm tophat.Milltex cat back and pre cat.. Regal 245 leh phase 1 ipf remap.Whiteline rarb.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just did a test on 97 ron with my standard non turbo 1.8, interestingly 2mpg less than 95 ron. Oh well...
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast