Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: hit by a stupid driver not paying attention when driving! who is to blame?

joskos

hit by a stupid driver not paying attention when driving! who is to blame?

on my way home. was on dual carriageway and in stationary at traffic lights. was hit back from another stupid driver, driving a toyota paseo. a truck pulled up and said the toyota driver was on his mobile phone.....

at the scene of the accident i rang police, was told to move cars away from the dual carriageway and exchange insurance details.

so the toyota driver crashed into me from back while i was in stationary at traffic lights. who is to blame?

should i just buy another second hand bumper and stick it on? or what will insurance do for me?

this is my first time being invloved in accident since i've passed my drving test. i have 4 years of no claim bonus.

should i tell my insurance company about this accident? will they put up my insurance premiums? what will insurance do?

any advice would be great!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ur insurance will be fine, did they admit liability??? if they did there insurance will cover everything and they will foot the bill of any car u may hire, also go to the hospital and claim whiplash 3500 is what i got for it
    BLACK BEAUTY

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what he said^^^^^^ and bloody hell astra hold p well ?
    Back in an astra and loving it

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    even if you slammed on the brakes and he hit you its still his fault. he should be paying attention..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    mate, sure that astra isn't a tank is disguise, hardly a scratch compared to the other guys car! if you had posted pics of his car first then yours, i kinda would of expected more damage on yours.

even if you repair it yourself, still need to inform the insurance company. when my brothers civic got hit by a bus in the yard he drives out from, the bus company paid for all repairs so it didn't have to go through the insurance etc, but my brother still had to call the insurance to inform then of what had happened!
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You are not at fault the other driver is and it seem's you have a witness ?
    Inform your insurance and they will deal with it ,
    I would be very suprised if there isn't more severe damage behind youre bumper judging by the damage on the other car

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgodden1989 View Post
    mate, sure that astra isn't a tank is disguise, hardly a scratch compared to the other guys car! if you had posted pics of his car first then yours, i kinda would of expected more damage on yours.

even if you repair it yourself, still need to inform the insurance company. when my brothers civic got hit by a bus in the yard he drives out from, the bus company paid for all repairs so it didn't have to go through the insurance etc, but my brother still had to call the insurance to inform then of what had happened!
    You DON'T have to inform your insurance at all if you are not makeing a claim as it is pointless

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joskos View Post
    on my way home. was on dual carriageway and in stationary at traffic lights. was hit back from another stupid driver, driving a toyota paseo. a truck pulled up and said the toyota driver was on his mobile phone.....

so the toyota driver crashed into me from back while i was in stationary at traffic lights. who is to blame?

should i just buy another second hand bumper and stick it on? or what will insurance do for me?

this is my first time being invloved in accident since i've passed my drving test. i have 4 years of no claim bonus.

should i tell my insurance company about this accident? will they put up my insurance premiums? what will insurance do?

any advice would be great!
    As you were hit from behind whilst stationary your insurance company will automatically blame the toyota driver.
    As you will be claiming against his insurance you need do nothing to your car, his insurance should pay for the repair, plus for a hire car for you.
    Do you have legal cover? If so, use it to chase his insurance for any loss of earnings if you need to take any time off work due to the accident (arranging repairs, chasing insurance, whiplash, etc.) and for your excess (if you have to pay). You might also be able to claim for reduction in the value of the vehicle, as it's now going to be on the insurance database as damaged/repaired and subsequently will have a lower trade in/resale value.

In theory, the only reason your premium might rise is if your renewal is due before the claim gets sorted. In that case you will loose part/all your no claims bonus until it gets sorted.
    Once sorted in your favour the no claims bonus should get re-instated & you should get a refund for any extra paid.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phil w View Post
    You DON'T have to inform your insurance at all if you are not makeing a claim as it is pointless
    Not true at all, you have to inform your insurance company of any accident wether you are claiming or not

read the small print of your policy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you get the truck drivers contact details? If so, tell your insurance company what happened and give them the truck drivers details. Unfortunatly in situations like this, you really need a witness otherwise it's your word against theirs.

Now the bad news... even if the other drivers insurance admit liability, your insurance premium will still go up next year. Even though you were not to blaim, you will still be viewed as a higher risk.
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast