Thread: Tracking and tyres

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tracking and tyres

I had to get two new front tyres today at £139 each for 205/40/17 is it just me or is that alot. They are cooper zeons??? I'd never heard of them but its all they had in the correct fitment so i had to pay.

But my main problem is they also did my tracking as my two front tyres had worn right down on the inner 1/3 or the tyre, my car is lowered 60mm and i had it set up (tracking/camber) when i had it lowered so i dont think this should have happened in first place ( but i dont know much about suspension etc).
    The guys have set my tracking to what it said a mk4 astra should be from standard (on their system), saying it doesnt make a difference that ive had it lowered. But now when i drive in a straight line my steering wheel isnt straight so my tracking must be out now, this was never the case before today my steering wheel was always dead straight when going straight forward.

Can anyone offer me some advice as i thought my tracking set up was correct before hand but dont understand why my old tyres had worn so much on the insides and now my tracking seems worse and after having spent £280 on the tyres dont want the same problem......... Any advice at all would be hugely appreciated
    all about the looks not being practical

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thats expensive, you can get those tyres for just over £50 each + £15 to fit. Also the MK4 should have 215/40, not 205/40's.

I'd take it back to where you had the tyres done, and get them to redo the tracking because if the steering wheel isn't straight, they didn't do it properly.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They probably didn't have the steering wheel straight when they set the alighment, same happened to me a couple of weeks back but haven't got it sorted yet as I need my camber adjusted. Have you had your camber checked?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah i have adjustable camber bolts and had them sorted when car was lowered. They put the clamp on the wheel and i checked it was straight, but there system showed my tracking was out by 5 on both wheels compared to what their system said it should be for a astra, but would my tracking need to be set up different as im 60mm lower than standard? Can't say I'm pleased about it at all, they seemed useless tbh but i was unsure whether my tracking would be set up different as my car lowered???
    all about the looks not being practical

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Was they using a 4 wheel alignment?

My readings when i did mine were Just under 6 on both backs (which would make the steering wheel straight) and the fronts than read +1 and -1 equalling 0, parralel, no problems with mine, i set it myself, and have no uneven wear on the tyre even though its lowered.

HTH

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If wheel is not central then likely track rods have not been set evenly ,this will give wear on one shoulder as wheel has to be steered slightly one way to correct the problem.