Thread: The GSi is alive... again!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The GSi is alive... again!

Hey guys how we all doing?? thought i'd pop on to give you all a wee update on My GSi, Its been 33 months since the crash and it's 3 years this month since i purchased the car, cant remember what stage it was at last time i posted but i was hoping to have it at F&M unfortunately when i saw the paint job in the flesh i pulled it off the stand as it was still needing alot of work, the paint job as you'll see in the thread is shocking, The guy who painted it was a mate of my uncles who owed him a few favours as my dad and uncle had built his spray booth for him and done a few other odd jobs to help him startup his new business... he claims he's a Spray painter!! i think he Slept with one

So When i got it back i got alot of the parts needed together, New clutch from courtenay, F23 box from barry cumrie since mine was rattling it's a**e off thanks to a faulty bearing casing, a short shift from the bay of e, a subframe which we got on the cheap... next to nothing really, rear opel badge (not on yet), new Steering wheel airbag unit as mine was marked, new wing mirror glass, bulbs and so on..

been workign at it in my spare time as i've been working alot and this weekend it FINALLY moved under it's own steam without so much as a serious problem!!!

Some pics i just took to show it does move :P

Still some niggly wee problems, passenger ball joint has some play in it as it's been removed a fair few times as thats the side that took all the damage (it was a new one 3 years ago), A bolt snapped on my precat... so purchasing the precat from LMF on pay day and having a De-Cat made up for me aswell at CAS, got a bolt missing for the front gearbox to subframe mount, and a bolt missing for through the centre of the rear subframe mount, So to move it i only used the clutch no throttle at all as i didnt want to risk breakign anything,

Car needed moved as i have a van home every night and the missus has a Nissan Almera now so we need both cars in the drive to save taking up the whole street with motors,

Car has also been treated to a good coat of Polish for the winter a few weeks ago before we started the subframe and box aswell to save the paint gettin any worse than it already is, front panels (bonnets, wings and bumpers) weren't given much attention but the panels that still have the original paint had loads, I know some of you guys like your detailing so heres a ffew before and after pics of the process to bring the car back up to it's former glory and protect it over the winter months as i plan to be driving it again by the end of October..

the roof has to be the worst panel for Tree wax, it's rougher than sandpaper so to see how easy it would shift without using a heavy cutting compound i gave half the roof a light covering off Autoglym SRP,

unpolished side

Half and half... This side of the aerial hasnt been polished far side has

in the pictures it doesnt look too bad but here's the difference after a shower of rain

took a few pics of how the paints lookign right now before going ahead and washing and cutting back through all the dirt, tried my best to get the best possible angle to make swirls and so on visible but you can see the paint isnt in the best condition, a long way away from being the gleaming car i once proudly owned...

Roof gettin bad again

Still gettin reflections in the paintwork but..

its a mess when you get close up to it,

I gave the car a full wash with some Turtle wax Zip Wax, I usually use Autoglym Body work shampoo and conditioner but I used the last on the 106, Wasnt all that impressed but it done a not bad job....

The shines back but it's not perfect still, car ideally needs a good buff but i'll be doing it by hand once the rains eased off again as i dont have abuffer to hand,

Some close ups of the marks left on the paint work from it sitting around before applying a coat of AG Paint renovator, used this to remove the blemishes on the roof and top of the tailgate/spoiler only, the ones on other panels can be removed using SRP, AG PR is a strong compund and shouldn't be used like a polish,

Marks around the sunroof,roof rails, windscreen and rear window/aeriel which were unable to be removed using SRP

Hazey scratches from the Car cover i had on when i stayed at Leighs parents caused by the Strapping Leighs dad (not his fault) used to keep it on the car when the cover began to split, this will need buffed rather than hand polished out

AG Paint Renovator applied to the whole roof sparingly so it lifts the dirt and not too much of the paint, The polishing pad was BRAND new only 2 hours ago and has only been used on the roof,

Just as i finished removing the AG PR the rain came on, which gave me a chance to take this picture and show how the water is sitting on the roof, It looks alot better, i'll try and get close ups of the bits that were bad once the roof drys, and for once the roof is nice and smoooooooth

SRP on quite heavily, as it's applied quite thick i applied it to a full side then let it dry and wiped off, repeated this twice just for extra protection

This was the final result, I actually forgot how good my car looked when the paints gleaming... even if the paint has more scratches than Max Mosely's back after his Nazi bondage session

And the bits on the roof that were really bad, The rain came on after i had finished rubbing off the SRP so quickly tooks these pics,

At the seal above the Windscreen

Round the Sunroof

around the aeriel

Quick Pic after i Gave the car a Coat of EGP, Brought hte bodywork back up but it's gettin a bit rough again after a windy night last night the trees have deposited their crap all over it...

thats the finish i was hoping for, can make out everything around the front the garden in the reflection

Thought i'd take some close up pics of the panels that are really bad... i didnt think these would turn out on my phone but they have, the pictures are My two wings and the bumper, bonnet pics wouldn't show up the laws but they are the same as the wings...

front Passenger wing,

front bumper

Drivers Wing

More Runs and sand marks

As you can see in the reflections compared to the rest of the panels, they are very flat, covered in orange peel, scratches, sanding marks, runs, the scratches were ON the car when i got it back these have not been done while sitting at my house which is why i was so mad at my dad, even though the paint work is sh*t... i didnt expect it to come back in that state

Either way it'll do for running the engine in over winter, then when we move house hopefully beggining of next year i can send it away for painting and then store her in the garage until the Shows,

Sorry for the Long Spiel alots been going on, Enjoy and I hope to see some of you's very soon when the cars taxed and tested
    Stanceworks.com.... Low IS a Lifestyle

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Add d dave on Facebook
    Good progress
    Scottish Member? Have a peep at our Region For tints or wraps Click Here!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think you mean Slow Progress Dave

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Its good to see when someone sticks at something like this. Looking forward to seeing it at a meet soon
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    should get a prize for taking that long

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannysport18 View Post
    should get a prize for taking that long
    When you take into account whats been replaced/repaired on the car and the amoutn of time its sat uyntouched i think it's done pretty well to get this far in that time so far the list of parts bought is

2 x track rod ends
    Steering rack
    Wishbone
    Coilovers
    Wheels refurbed and New Parada's
    Gearbox
    Subframe
    Gearbox top mount
    gearbox front lower mount
    Gearbox Rear lower mount
    Shortshift
    Courtenay Clutch
    Driveshaft
    Front bumper
    2 x wings
    Bonnet
    grille
    turbo timer
    Top End Engine rebuild
    Precat (to be ordered this month)
    Radiator
    New radiator Hose
    Steering wheel Airbag unit
    Rewired the headunit
    JBL Front door components
    Whiteline Drop Links
    New front discs and Pads
    New Rear discs and Pads
    Strut top mounts
    Turbo check valve
    random bolts that have been lost or broken
    Probably forgotten a few things aswell!!

Not too mention it laid at CAS in Shotts for 7 months, laid at my dads in dumfries (90 miles away from me) for a further 6/7 months this year when it was painted, it laid at a mates for a couple of months as he was doing some work on it for me, it also laid at Clellands a local garge for 8 weeks when they were meant to do the head work but never bothered,

there has been loads of set backs in those 33 months and not too mention i lost interest alot of the time but i knew from the start this wasnt going to be easy, i spent all the money i had for it quickly and had to make do with buying bits here and there when i had the cash, not too mention i have moved from Falkirk to Edinburgh then to Rosyth and been out of work three times in that time, my son was born in january this year so the money i've had to spend on it has been limited

Still though i wouldnt change what i've done, at least i know when it goes back on the road nothign should break.. and that it's got decent low mileage on it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what happend originally>?
    1.8 16v 99 T plate.

Status
    Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook
    very similar to my crash actually..

the damage is nearly the bloody same too..

as a said the other day to you buddy... its ur determination that has made me get my coupe back to the state shes in now... and im still aiming for it to be done at the same time as urs!
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buster View Post
    what happend originally>?
    In short... I slid on Diesel in very heavy rain and a catalogue of irresponsible events happened until it was uplifted and impounded and the police conceeded there was no wrong doing just stupid mistakes and I was done for Careless driving for not observing the road conditions accordingly, but all that is in the past, i learned my lesson and paid the price.... With Points and the repair bill and lets just say that its ran right into the thousands!!

Stu as said on Scotvoc man i'm glad it's spurring you on, Your coupe was stunning before your unfortunate crash, It wont be long before it's back to that condition, It'll be close man I just hope neither of us have any more set backs,

Like i said too man Any hassles and you know i have replaced/repaired the same part give me a shout

Status
    Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook
    lol skipz ur gonna regret saying that!

SHOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ive never tackled this bit before... lol

Im prying its simple enough to do but hey ho..... as said many many times m8... 33 months!! thats dedication for you... its been since june for me and i cant handle it.. i see the car every bloody day! lol
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast