Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face Astravan heater plug ecu!!!

HEY UP ALL

I've not long joined the deisel brigade and recently purchased a 2000 (w reg) Astra van 2.0 DL with 173k on the clock! The van itself is sound and runs a treat, but I'v noticed (even when I bought it) that the pre heater light doesnt come on when about to start it up!! It used to have abit of trouble starting up when cold so I replaced the heater plugs (well 3 of them, 1 of them kept turning but would not come out!!!! but hopefully shudnt cause any probs ) and gave the battery a good charge! I also noticed when I changed the 3 plugs that no power was going to the said plugs!!!
    I was led to believe, as it was in the mid of summer and weather rather warm, that if the outside temp is quite high then they dont switch on!! I'm rather sceptical on this idea tho

It starts fine now in the mornings, after a few turns, and straight away when warmed up, but what I'm wondering is why there is NO pre-heat light on the dash (the curly one, as my missus likes to explain it) and why are my heater plugs not warming up? I'm only asking b'cus come the winter and them very cold mornings, I'm guessing I'm gonna have probs so I wanna be all ok by then. What in your opinion would be the 1st thing to check? I'm guessing the heater ECU (by the batt), but how do you check it .

Many thanks, Gaz.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The outside air temp has no direct bearing on glowplug duration, duration is dictated upon engine block temp via the engine coolant temp sensor (ECT) and this info is processed by the ECU which switches the glow plug relay for the allocated time. The cold start problem you are having will most proberly be the plug that will not come out, and could be a real problem if you are unable to get it out in order to change it.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My van is exactly the same. Ive changed the relay you talk about but it still does it. I've heard it could be the spill pipes have perished and are letting air in and also the injector seals. Iv'e not got round to changing these yet so dont know if i'm talking shit.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes Filtee damaged spill pipes can cause poor starting but very cheap and easy to change. Also make sure the forward and return pipes to the filter housing are in good order, at the end of each pipe (one from the tank and the forward pipe to pump)where they join to the fuel housing there are little O rings that can also be replaced as air can be drawn into these seals also.

Good luck

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Spedo, trouble is I CAN'T get the plug out! (its the one furthest right) as it just keeps turning, and I dont want to keep on turning it bcus I'v been led to believe, by doing that I could cause further damage by allowing bits of the thread from the said plug dropping down into the head!! Dont suppose you'v any tips regarding gettin the damn thing out? Heard it is quite a nightmare infact!!
    Thanks again.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When you say it's turning is it finger tight or do you have to use a tool?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedo View Post
    When you say it's turning is it finger tight or do you have to use a tool?
    just checked it and its defo not finger tight, would need a tool!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I take it then that the glow plug is not broken, it's just turning without too much resistance, will the plug tighten down again?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedo View Post
    I take it then that the glow plug is not broken, it's just turning without too much resistance, will the plug tighten down again?

No the plug is not broken, as I went to replace it, it was tight at 1st but then just kept turning, never even started to rise out, just stayed where it was, so infact its still in its original position! I just get the impression tho, the problem would still be there (even if I had replaced them all) bcus the pre-heat light in the dash has never been on since the day I got it!

Thanks for ya advice so far mate

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The light won't come on if the engine is not cold enough. It sounds like the thread has crossed, try to apply some pressure with a screwdriver whilst trying to undo it and see if this helps, dont be too rough with it. See if you can get a long nose mole grip on the nut and pull upward whilst turning it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast