Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: powerflow exhaust in sussex a big no no!! review so far...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Down powerflow exhaust in sussex a big no no!! review so far...

Well,here i am£300 lighter and with a car i can barely drive
    I made the mistake of going to a powerlow dealer in sussex (i wont name and shame JUST yet as im going to contact thier head office tomorrow and see what happens,as they say its not the problem but how its dealt with....aaaanyway
    You might want to get comfortable...

i book the car in and explain i live over an hours drive away what the car is and that i want a 3" cat back with twin 3" tailpipes and want it quiet as i have to park outside my little boys bedroom and most nights have to go out late at night.

I drive to my appointment,guy takes my keys and puts car on the ramp,i take a seat in reception with both my boys (4 and 6) who are running around touching all the wheels etc and its hard to keep them sitting still as they love cars etc lol,while in there i enquire about any group buy discounts just in case and state i will be reviewing on a few local forums,"good" says the guy,we rely more on reputation...so i sit back down and wait for my new exhaust to be built.

About 40 mins later they come round and ask whethr 2 1/2 would be ok? at this point i get up and walk round to the car,seeing that they havent touched it bar putting it on the ramp i ask why not 3" as i know 3 " systes are made for these cars?

They state they only have 2 1/2" boxes and to fit a 3" pipe to the would be pointless,ok i say i suppose it wil do,another 10 mins and then they only have 2" boxes,bearing in mind i called before going to check they had the parts,knew what i wanted and could do it

So then they say if im getting it done best to do it properly (good sign or so i thought) and they would order the 3" boxes i needed for my quiet system after measuring up and booked me back in for roughly 4 days later,off i went anoid but thinking at least it will be perfect.

So the day comes and back i go,i arrive around 20 mins late due to road works,and see theres already a car on the ramp

so me and my 4 year old wander round to book in and enquire whats going on?

Thats ok says the guy i assume your going to wait for the car? yes i say as i live over an hour away and have no way of going anywhere,thats ok he says ill swap yours onto the ramp as the other cars being left here anyway.

Great i thought,and again enquired that it was definatly a 3" system being built,i was assured it was and that it would be quiet with the tailpipe choice id made previously.

The other car was removed from the ramp and parked up where it sat for a good 2 hours before being started.

Ok so bear in mind id arrived at around 9;40am,the car went up on the ramp within around 15 minutes and the old system was removed within around another 10,excellent i thought after popping out for a sneaky ciggarette/inspection,they said between 2 to a max of 3 hours and looks like its going to be 2!!

So a few hours pass and the guys now built the cat to centre box and starts shaping and measuring up for the centre box to rear pipe that runs by the tank,at this point im thinking this should be nearly done by now?so i ask the fitter how much longer roughly,he says should be around another 2 hours assuming all goes well,ok so that would mean 4 to 5 hours then?bearing in mind ive still got my bored 4 year old in tow!

So it gets to about 12 ish,and we decide its lunch time,so i ask if they have a courtesy car,the guy (manager) gives me a key to a car and off we go,took a drive out to kfc,had a nice 1.5 hour sit down etc,put some fuel in courtesy car(im nice like that lol) and went back expecting my car to be done.

Got back,noticed my car wasnt in car park? walked round the back,still on ramp,so in 1.5 hours theyd welded the centre pipe to the centre box and made a few bends?the guy working on my car was nowhere to be seen?(by now im noticing a pattern with no one being under my car when i go to look)

walked back round to reception again sat down for a while bored to death,and waited,the guy on reception put some cartoons on the pc for my little one (nice touch!)and waited some more,another hour passes,now around 3 pm (over 5 hours) wander round for another sneak peak just as the guys firing it up wth just centre box to check for blows and noise,sounds nice i double check with the guy it will be quiet,he assures me it will be as it has no rear on at the min(which he was doing 2+ hours ago?)

I also enquire about the pipe size as it looks smaller by the tank,he informs me that 3" will not fit there without touching the tank.(how do other manufacturers make them)so it goes to 2 3/4 there.ffs.

So back round i go and wait some more,all the time thinking this is worth all the waiting getting exactly what i want fitted to my spec for a good price!!(quoted 250)

Some more time passes so i go for a wander again,and decide to watch for a while from a distance to maybe get him to finish quicker as i was meant to have picked my other son up from school,but several phone calls ensured he'd be picked up until i got back as i was still stuck there.

walked round the back to see the other car finished,eh why did mine still need hours of work,while this one sat for a few hours and was done by about 3pm i was only 10 mins behind the other car!!

SO by now im somewhat frustrated,my other son who was with me is incredibly bored and keeps asking to go home,and the mood has fallen somewhat,i now dont give a sh*t about the car and just want it done so i can leave.

5pm they double check my tailpipe choice and weld it on,finish welding up the system etc,then fit it all up and line it up etc.

But wait! its not over yet,they knew i was coming and what was required,but didnt order in a 3" clamp!!(they also discovered theyd run out of exhaust hangers so used 2 long bolt thread things which were bent up and welded on to the rear box and attached to the rubbers!!

So they order the clamp,20 mins passes,nothing they call again,the parts guy did a detour and went home with the clamp!
    They send another,15 mins and it arrives the guy fits it and starts the car 5;35pm!!!

Then they present me with the bill £290,wtf they said 250 and i told them exactly what i wanted and they looked at the car,so where did the extra 40 come from?,ffs i couldnt be arsed to argue after being there for 8 hours ,and just wanted to go home!!

The car is very noisy and has an odd sound?
    i enquire whether it will get quieter and he says probably,it will definatly get smoother and should quieten down,phew!

Well down the road,1st blip on boost,OMG the sound is sooo boomy and loud especially at around 2500rpm when letting off throttle and when getting high up the revs it goes quiet,with none of the nice burble sound it should have made!!!

It makes the whole car vibrate,but its not touching anywhere just the sheer volume and frequency,ok i think,it WILL get better,so i continue on my way home,taking note of the various rattles im noticing from the centre of the car over bumps and the noise which appears to be getting louder??

So i arrive home,and am greeted by the oh,who says it sounded like a "tractor coming up the road with no exhaust"?

am absolutely fuming at this point,and look under the car,there i notice my twin 3" tailpipes are actually a u piece with a pipe each side and one going in the middle??

Surely i asked for twin not a big U restriction? they had to order the boxes anyway so why not order a twin exit??!! so much for doing it properly...

Thats obviously the odd sound,the air from my pipe hitting the inside of the trim at the U before splitting into the twin pipes at exit!!

Also noticed the pipe from the rearbox to trim where theyd cut it,has a lip inside which was left unground off,so another restriction!!

if id known this id have got a single oval,grrr!!

The sound i can only compare to an old astra gte 16v with the baffles gone on a standard system,the sort of rattly hollow air hitting metal noise,and that comes everytime i hit boost combined with a loud and boomy noise!!!

So i call yesterday and tell the guy ive had 2 noise complaints already,and it needs sorting as i asked for quiet,ok he says ill get the manager to call you in 5 mins.....NOTHING

While on the phone i have a read through my invoice,and notice the bit at the bottom i was meant to sign but thankfully didnt,"customer agrees the system maybe loud and may fail an mot on noise,customer requested a loud system" wtf no i didnt and on my 1st visit the guy was telling me how in a year or so the mot will involve a db meter to check noise levels!!
    Thank god i didnt sign it!!

Today i call again,he comes to the phone "sorry about yesterday we were manic"so how about today i thought?it was 4pm at this point,plenty of time to return my call from yesterday anyway...i explain the situation and i might get evicted if not sorted asap!!

He says ok,i can get you in saturday morning first thing,we'll move the centre box forward and install another behind it to quieten it down,ive got the part in stock,excellent i think,great customer service wants me to be satisfied as that was after all what i asked for in the 1st place.

So i book it in and say see you saturday,he says"ok erm,that should be £130,but we'll do it for £90 for you"at this point i was sort of dumstruck and said ok see you saturday,put the phone down and it suddenly sunk in,they want to charge me an extra 90 quid as well as this being my 3rd trip out there and having to wait all day long while other peoples were done quicker to sort an exhaust that should have been done properly as requested in the 1st place!!!

So im done,im cancelling tomorrow and ringing head office in exeter,see how that goes,from my research it appears im covered under the sale of goods act 1979,as the goods recieved by the consumer (me) are not fit for the use intended Ie to be a quiet exhaust system with a larger bore??

will try head office 1st see how i go,quoting soga 1979 if required but hopefully ill be back soon saying how it all worked out,fingers crossed!!!

Please feel free to offer any advice experiences or opinions etc,it all may help,no matter how small,this is driving my mad now,i have to push the car down my road and roll it down the hill every night to go out and then come in disturb my neighbours and shut it straight off

I think the worst thing is i dont even have the standard one to refit as they chopped it up to get it off!!

So im £300 lighter with them expecting another £90 to finish the job i asked for,and instead of having an awesome sounding z20let coupe i have a car that sounds like a chavs nova with an 8" tailpipe on,Rant over ,and please if you want an exhaust,buy a miltek/blueflame/bastuck/magnex,anything but a powerflow!!!

*nb;excuse my spelling my laptop keyboard is ****ed lol*
    Mechanic by trade so ask away!!!
    WTD;Astra mk3 gsi with c20let,and lots and lots of tuning goodies!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    WOW thats a long thread! but i read it all. I feal for you mate, its never good when stuff like that happens. i cant believe they wanted to charge you another £130 to fix their fudge up!! . hope you get this sorted
    www.chilled-rc.net For all your RC car/boat/heli/plane needs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Their center box is crap it will still be loud! I've had two of them got peeved and got a Miltek much better
    You Might Be Able To Piss Over Me But I'm Not Going To Roll Over And Lick My Lips While You Do It

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks mate,i cant believe it either,it is a long thread lol but wanted to get across the ***** up in detail in case anyone has any ideas on the legalitys etc.

It took me a while to save up for it and then was overcharged on the day anyway with no reasoning behind it,im not paying another penny and will drag them through small claims court if i have to,the stupid thing is i went for powerflow because i could have what i wanted,and to be honest a £40 rage backbox clamped on with soe gun gum would have sounded better,anyway,i will keep the post updated and if no joy is had,,i shall be posting this up on every forum im a member of so its all over google(and im a member of LOADS believe me lol)cheers neil.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like they took a real disliking to you. so much for good reviews you were hoping to give them! really hope they get this sorted out for you sharpish.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma ??? View Post
    Their center box is crap it will still be loud! I've had two of them got peeved and got a Miltek much better
    Thats the thing,its got a centre box and a rear,and they now want to fit TWO centre boxes and a rear possibly even changing the rear to enlarge it also,i wish id have gone for a miltek/blueflame etc now anyway and fitted it myself,the only downside being it wouldnt have had my tailpipe choice but thats a small price compared to the shi*e my £300 bought me from powerflow!!
    cheers neil.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by torquenstein View Post
    Sounds like they took a real disliking to you. so much for good reviews you were hoping to give them! really hope they get this sorted out for you sharpish.
    Same here mate,tbh im unsure what i did to deserve this anyway,i didnt even complain at all,when i called the other day i only enquired what could be done to quieten it and that was AFTER they fitted it lol,the workman ship seems to be good bar the leftover lip in the pipe and the obvious flaws with noise/sound,and hangers
    Cheers neil.

Edit just noticed your avatar and where your from,is that damions old astra?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a powerflow system on my 2.2 coupe which came with the car when I bought it..... It was badly made and is quite loud........ Although I must say it does have a nice burble

I have had to take it off the car to enable me and a mate to cut and re-weld the pipe and boxes so it was a better fit as it knocked quite badly underneath........

Secondly the welds by powerflow on the boxes aren't that great and I'm still getting sooty deposits on the joins...

I will be looking at replacing the system with one made by a friend of mine....... It will also hopefully be a bit quieter than the one thats on at the moment

I'm not saying they're all bad as I do quite like the sound from my exhaust, It would be better if it were better build quality though.....

If its got pistons or tits, its gonna be expensive!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davee View Post
    I have a powerflow system on my 2.2 coupe which came with the car when I bought it..... It was badly made and is quite loud........ Although I must say it does have a nice burble

I have had to take it off the car to enable me and a mate to cut and re-weld the pipe and boxes so it was a better fit as it knocked quite badly underneath........

Secondly the welds by powerflow on the boxes aren't that great and I'm still getting sooty deposits on the joins...

I will be looking at replacing the system with one made by a friend of mine....... It will also hopefully be a bit quieter than the one thats on at the moment

I'm not saying they're all bad as I do quite like the sound from my exhaust, It would be better if it were better build quality though.....
    I noticed the welding was ok but a mig is not really suited to manufacture,a tig should be used and im sure i read somewhere that they do that (apart from on my car anyway)

it rattles when hitting bumps but not against the car seems to be more of a rattle in itself which is odd,in hindsight wish id left it alone and gone for a fmic instead,i was trying to prep it for the 300bhp i had planned,and read that after 280 the 2 1/2" becomes a bit of a bottle neck,but tbh after this experience its killed my enthusiasm and i am getting to the point i hate and want rid of the car,poxy powerflow,ive only had the car 2/3 weeks and DID love it before powerflows abomination was fitted

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ill try get some sound bytes of itomorrow and post up,i would do it now but id wake the street just getting out lol.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast