Thread: MOT today. Been charged a fair price?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

MOT today. Been charged a fair price?

My 1st thoughts were expensive, but then i thought - i've never looked into how much the parts cost, so it could be fair for all i know. Thankfully, after the g/f's episode, mine didn't need any welding

Apparently the car 'needed' a new drivers brake calliper. It was supposedly getting hot & when they tried moving the wheel, they couldn't.

1st question lbeit maybe daft - this is sod all to do with me painting them is it? I'm guessing not as the passenger side is fine.

Anyway, so that was done, i also asked them to change one locking wheel nut for a standard as i couldn't get the bugger off. AFAIK this (plus the MOT) is all that was done.

Charge: £165.

Fair price?

what's the bit above & below the calliper? I thought it was all 1 unit when i was painting it, but the bit i've painted is still there & it now has this silver mid section as it's new lol.

Anyway, to wrap things up ..... i don't remember this bit on the last MOT i had. Is this new or has my garage just not bothered attaching it to MOT sheets in the past?

Looks like the lambda test was near a fail, whatever that means.

& is this bit related to the calliper or what? What's it mean in laymens terms?

Oh well, that's a portion of this weeks wage gone. Another 12 months ticket will do nicely though

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The calliper is separate to the carrier, which will be the part they didn't change

Seems like a fair'ish price, £40 for MOT, so £125 for the calliper + fitting + bleeding the brakes I guess.
    Just a case of, did the calliper really need changing?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thing I dont under stand is how did the caliper get hot? They dont drive the car far to do a mot so it would not get hot.

Oh on price front that seams a OK price. 80 for part 54 for MOT and rest labour and fluid

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sticky piston will cause the brakes to bind, causing heat. Price isn't too bad, labour charges in garages around here are around the £65-85 mark.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRI-T Keithy View Post
    Thing I dont under stand is how did the caliper get hot? They dont drive the car far to do a mot so it would not get hot.
    I guess it got hot when he drove it to the MOT tester, a seized caliper and disc get VERY hot and stay hot for ages.

The piston seal on the caliper was probably knackered which would let in water and corrode the piston making it seize and drag on the disc. Caliper pistons are meant to creep back a little when you take your foot off the brake pedal but when corroded they can't.

Did they replace all the brake fluid in the system? If the seal was damaged water and rust can contaminate the brake fluid. I changed a knacker caliper recently and the brake fluid was rusty brown not clear.

Not a bad price, certainly not a rip-off.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yea i can see it could be from the drive there. just spoted time of test.

On a side note it did not have to be done. It passed the MOT as it was they only advised it need changing

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I don't know what they did tbh. I was at work all the time so my mum took the call & my dad picked up the spare keys afterwards.

I'm assuming it went down & the MOt place (which is about 5mins down the road from the garage btw) said it could do with changing, so that's when he changed it - otherwise it'd not be on the advisory sheet? Doesn't tie in with him saying it'd fail if it didn't get done though, so i dunno.

Looking at parts on eBay, it does seem pretty fair after all. So that's not so bad.

I'm glad it didn't fail on my windscreen either. The guy who attempted to fill a crack said if the tester was being super fussy, he could fail it due to a mini spider crack right in the eyeline.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Remember though brakes are well important so if it was me I would have got it done too.

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Oh i'm not disputing that. I wouldn't have avoided it - whatever needs doing needs doing, especially safety issues. I was just wondering as before today i had no clue what callipers went for.

Will have to get the ol' hammerite out at the weekend & even things up lol.