Thread: AFL headlamps from hell!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

AFL headlamps from hell!

Was in an accident last March, which among other things resulted in a new right hand side headlamp. The car is fitted with AFL bi-xenon.

A few weeks ago, after having washed the car with a high pressure washer, the AFL warning light showed up on the dash. It's the warning light that indicates that the turning function of the headlamp isn't working. I also noticed a lot of vapour inside the headlamp, in other words water had gotten inside the cover somehow (I also found a bug in there!). Immidiately after I noticed the warning light, I pulled over and looked at the lights. The new lamp projector was turned all the way to the right. A minute after, it shut down and the fog lights turned on as this is a saftety mechanism on the car.

Anyway, talked to the insurance company, and had the workshop that swapped the lamp in the first place to get a new one. So they did today. What I noticed though, was that both the ballast and the "swing controller" box-thingy had to be swapped over from the seemingly damaged headlamp over to the new one. As I suspected, the new headlamp did't do much better. The warning light is still flashing in the dash! Even though the ECU was reset, it's still flashing.

I don't know why, but the lamps won't adjust like they normally do when the ignition is turned on. That might just be a consequence of the mentioned fault.

What is this?? Is it the controller box, or what? I'm also a bit baffled over the fact that there isn't any fault codes displayed when I've done the pedal test. Unfortunately, as this isn't an Opel shop, they don't have tech2, so I haven't yet been able to see if there really is a fault code present. Even so, I've seen from the exhaustive canbus fault code listing on this forum, that codes for these kinds of faults exists...

Another thing I've noticed is that the warning light is flashing. According to the instruction booklet, I've gotten the impression that any fault would have that warning light illuminate constantly. Further, it says that it will flash four times if you have set the headlamps on a so-called symmetric mode (should be done if driven e.g in the UK).

So.... WTF?!?! Anyone with any idea of what the .... this is? I'm pretty fed up with it allready. I'm thinking either the controller box or a simple fuse. Want to check the latter, but don't know where that fuse might be located.

The work shop said that they will try to help me with this issue, but I'm a natural sceptic and won't take that for granted. Want to see if I can help myself out of this potentially expensive mess (the lamp itself cost the insurance company more than 2000 euros!!)
    2005 Opel Astra 2.0 Turbo 170 bhp
    2005 Yamaha FZ6 - 98 bhp 0-100 in 3,2
    http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/6...5405911uq6.jpg

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've no experience of this but from what you've said I would say its the controller box is at fault

if I was you I would take the car back to the garage and tell them to try a different controller
    Flame Red 2002-02 Mk4 1.6 SXi RIP
    Flame Red 1997-R Corsa 1.4 8v
    Back in an Astra Silver 2000-X Mk4 CD 1.6 16v

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A little update, then: There are three fuses that are related to the AFL-system. Two 15 amps and one 5 amp. The instruction manual doesn't say which one of these two that runs what. None of them were faulty, but I removed the 5 amp, which resulted in getting the warning light go away and letting both low beam staying on whilst turning the light switch to "on".

Drawback is of course that the lights still aren't auto levelling, nor do they swing.

It still bugs me that there are no fault codes

Yeah, I will talk to the shop tomorrow. I hope they're cooperative. Otherwise I'll need to talk to GM hq and demand them to replace it without cost as this is something that goes beyond factory warranty according to Norwegian law.
    2005 Opel Astra 2.0 Turbo 170 bhp
    2005 Yamaha FZ6 - 98 bhp 0-100 in 3,2
    http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/6...5405911uq6.jpg