Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Fault Codes be diagnosed differently on different Code Readers? Etc.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Can Fault Codes be diagnosed differently on different Code Readers? Etc.

Can someone clarify the slight confusion I have?

Am I right in thinking that certain fault codes are not unique to specific components of the engine? i.e fault code Pxxxx does not necessarily mean that component xyz is faulty.

And can different code readers/diagnostic devices list different narratives for the same fault code? i.e. fault code Pxxxx could list a narrative such as “Timing Fault” on one device, but another device could list “Sensor malfunction” for the same fault code?

I ask because my engine is giving out fault code P1105 and P0370.
    The garage said that P1105 which lists “Barometric Pressure Sensor Wrong Signal” is not too much to worry about…
    Whereas P0370 lists “Pump Position Sensor Incorrect Signal” which points to a fault within the diesel fuel pump…which is a big job/big concern say the garage. The garage is staffed by ex-vauxhall mechanics btw, and they read my codes with a code reader connected the socket by the gearstick.

Members on here have told me fault code P0370 carries the description “P0370: Timing Reference High Resolution Signal A”…which points to timing belts?

So which is it? Does P0370 equate to ‘Timing Belts’, or does P0370 equate to ‘Pump Sensors’?
    2 totally different parts of the engine, surely? I am confused.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

p.s. my actually car runs fine. I still get 45 mpg urban, and there are no problems with starting or accelerating hot or cold, thank god.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why do you think its timing belt?

Why dont you think High resolution signal is electrical, the fuel pump needs an electrical signal to operate and do perform the timing.

SO therefore fuel pump it could be.

Vectra SRi 1.9 CDTi (150).
    Tinted Windows, Richbrook Gear Knob & Tax Disc Holder.
    Flip down sunglasses Holder.
    6000K HID's, Chilled Glovebox, CD70 Navi, Debadged, Samco Hoses.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astracolli View Post
    Why do you think its timing belt?

Why dont you think High resolution signal is electrical, the fuel pump needs an electrical signal to operate and do perform the timing.

SO therefore fuel pump it could be.
    I don't really have an opinion either way, as I'm new to engines.
    What threw me was that someone said code P0370 was listed as "Timing Belts" and someone else said the code was listed as "Pump Sensor".
    I thought how can one code have two descriptions...?

BUT I just read this on another thread:
    http://www.ilexa.co.uk/forum/index.p...c,17812.0.html

Some very good stuff in there.

My car is pre-2004 so it seems code P0370 cannot be "Timing" (as most googled lists give), but has to be "Pump Sensor" as the code reader diagnosed. The mechanic did have to punch my car details into the reader before he read the codes, so i am assuming he has the most accurate diagnosis.
    It looks like fault code lists are different depending on the age of the engine...hmmm

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The codes are generic and conform to a Europe compliant standard, therefore most generic fault coad readers will show this code explanation only. When vehicle specific equipment is used for example Tec 2 then extra information can be programed into that equipment from the vehicle manufacturer to give extra info for a specific model and its associated fault and will give expanded info for the mechanic.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedo View Post
    The codes are generic and conform to a Europe compliant standard, therefore most generic fault coad readers will show this code explanation only. When vehicle specific equipment is used for example Tec 2 then extra information can be programed into that equipment from the vehicle manufacturer to give extra info for a specific model and its associated fault and will give expanded info for the mechanic.
    Thanks for the insight.

I understand that everyone seems to just refer to these widely-available 'generic' code lists on forums...is there any place i can get hold of marquee specific lists, if such lists have been 'published'? i.e. for my Y17DT engine.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I use the Autodata book, but they are about £70. I find people pay too much store in fault code readers, sometimes they can be spot on and other times they can be missleading and at best only point you in the right direction of a fault, this is when you have to really diagnose the fault, trial and error may produce a result but often the use of more advanced equipment will need to be used, which is not cheap.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I use the Autodata book, but they are about £70. I find people pay too much store in fault code readers, sometimes they can be spot on and other times they can be missleading and at best only point you in the right direction of a fault, this is when you have to really diagnose the fault, trial and error may produce a result but often the use of more advanced equipment will need to be used, which is not cheap.
    The ex-vauxhall mechanic i went to used a code reader that was the size of an air filter (in plan view), and it was encased in an orange, rubbery housing. He said it was just under the tech2 in terms of accuracy and being spot on. I wish i had took a note of the make!

The thing is, he diagnosed a fuel pump fault...in fact he said it's definitely the fuel pump, as the sensor that has signalled the fault is within the fuel pump itself!

I then spoke to an independent EDU technician over the phone, and he said nah, it's most likely an EDU problem (that is attached to the pump), as the fuel pumps themselves rarely go wrong, and if they do, then the performance of the car would be noticeably worse. My car drives perfectly, thank god, so i am veering towards the diagnosis of the EDU guy. Looks like i might have to only pay for some re-soldering within the EDU, rather than a new fuel pump.

What you think?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the code reader i have says the fault code then what it is etc im inbirstol if you want to i can put it on yours see what it brings up
    Mk4 ASTRA 1.7DTI Estate On 126K Miles Now 127k 11/10/2008 - - 129K 28/11/2008 - - 130k 04/01/2009 -- Now 138k 08/05/2009 Now 142k and a broken Diff -- 144K

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Billy
    Yes this is true the EDU blames the spill valve in the pump when in fact it is actually the EDU that is at fault, again this highlights the sometimes missleading readings of a fault code reader. There is much about the replacement of the EDU if you search the threads and is quite easy to replace, and yes it is true you can have dry solder joints which you can resolder but it depends on how bad things are when you open it up, as to how successful the repair will be. Just a thought, if the vehicle is running well it maybe better to leave well alone, also the fault that showed up may have been an old one, you should have it checked again now it has been cleared, it might not show any problems now.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Billy
    Yes this is true the EDU blames the spill valve in the pump when in fact it is actually the EDU that is at fault, again this highlights the sometimes missleading readings of a fault code reader. There is much about the replacement of the EDU if you search the threads and is quite easy to replace, and yes it is true you can have dry solder joints which you can resolder but it depends on how bad things are when you open it up, as to how successful the repair will be. Just a thought, if the vehicle is running well it maybe better to leave well alone, also the fault that showed up may have been an old one, you should have it checked again now it has been cleared, it might not show any problems now.
    I have been driving around as normal (even with a bit of a heavy foot) for the last 5 days now - and the fault codes have not re-appeared!
    The strange thing is, I also have a non-working brakelight and I was getting fault code 0571 (Lighting Circuit Problem)...but since all the codes were cleared even that fault code is not re-appearing! My brakelight is still not working though!

Why aren't the fault codes re-appearing??? Especially the brakelight one, as that is a visible fault? I am a bit confused.

If it's any use...I had my aircon condenser changed about the same time these fault codes appeared...I'm thinking maybe the tinkering with the aircon system may have triggered these fault codes? I've read that sometimes work on the engine can also bring up spurious, random fault codes.

dave234 - thanks for the kind offer. I will see how it goes for now and take it from there. Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast