Thread: Buffing and painting

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Buffing and painting

I am looking at buying a buffing kit and painting a new bumper i am looking at getting. But as the bumper seems expensive i'm wanting to do have a go painting it myself. Could someone give me some advice and/or tips on how to do it? and the bit of a step by step guide? cheers in advance!
    Coupe Bertone in Black

H.T.F.C

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If it's your first go, you might want to practice on something smaller first. But the steps are as follows:

Give the bumper a good w/d sanding and make sure it's completely smooth. If there is paint already on the bumper, you need to get past at least the lacquer coat to avoid any reactions. Once nicely sanded (400 or 600 grit should do) clean with alcohol wipe or a good detergent and dry thoroughly.

Next, use plastic primer (colour according to recommendation on paint) and give it a few coats (2 will do, 3 to be safe). Make sure the coats are light as heavy coats increase drying times. Leave to dry for a day or so then sand down using 800 grit w/d to give a nice and smooth finish. If you rub off too much of the primer, re-apply on the offending areas and sand down after drying.

Once you've achieved a smooth finish on the primer, apply 2-3 coats of the colour spray in thin coats again, allowing 20 or so minutes between coats. Don't spray too heavily as you'll get patchyness afterwards. Allow this to dry properly, around 8ish hours usually suffices. Normally you don't need to sand down at this stage unless the surface is noticeably unsmooth or blotchy.

Finally the lacquer stage, make sure you are in a completely dust free environment as even the tiniest spec will show up on the smooth finish. Give it 3-4 light coats, be careful as lacquer will run very easily if you put too much in one area and in most cases will also cause run marks in the paint underneath. If this happens, allow to dry, sand down that specific area past lacquer coat, reapply a coat or two of the colour paint, allow to dry and reapply lacquer. Dont worry if the lacuqer is not smooth at this stage as long as you have even coverage it should be fine. Allow the lacquer to dry for a day at least and then polish off with some rubbing compound or normal polish. That's the basics and remember it's all in the prep work, so if you're not happy with certain bits during this stage, take that extra half hour or so to save yourself hours afterwards! HTH

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Spot on mate! appreciate that! So would would you think i would just get away with using sand paper and not have to buy a buffer etc? Its a black coupe i've got, so is there any paint/ brand you could recommend? cheers again pal!
    Coupe Bertone in Black

H.T.F.C

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would suggest wet sanding between coats(until the final coat) with 1200g sandpaper, it will look really top notch then....
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers mate....anyone else got anymore advice?
    Coupe Bertone in Black

H.T.F.C

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by htfc View Post
    Spot on mate! appreciate that! So would would you think i would just get away with using sand paper and not have to buy a buffer etc? Its a black coupe i've got, so is there any paint/ brand you could recommend? cheers again pal!
    The wet and dry paper will do the job mate, will take some elbow grease, but hey, thats half the fun Just make sure you get all the prepwork right and the finish will be good. In terms of paint brand, I've used the halfords stuff and it's ok, better to go to a local paint mixers with your colour code (found on the VIN plate) and get some mixed up, get extra trust me, better to have too much than to not have enough! For the primer and lacquer, the halfords stuff is cool. And a little tip, when sanding with the wet and dry, put some fairy liquid into the water as this helps the water stay on the area your sanding rather than just running straight off! As stated in my earlier post, once you've done the lacquer and allowed time to dry, give it a good polish to get it nice and smooth. Good luck and post up your results.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers mate, will let you know! being down to halfords today to have a look, all looks fairly priced, much cheaper than taking it somewhere anyway! cheer again!
    Coupe Bertone in Black

H.T.F.C

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For a full back bumper, how many cans of the halfords spray do you think you would need?
    Chris

2.0 Coupe Turbo
    (Now Dead........)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    make sure its a warm place as cold with lacquer makes it look milky/smokey.