AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Best way to remove silver from coupe center console

Hi All,

My first post!
    Ive a Astra Coupe and the silver finish on the center console is now looking tired so Im going respray it. Ive taken the console off and have started sanding part of it. The sandpaper Im using though is just heating up the rubberised finish of the silver and its a pain in the ass to remove.
    Does anyone out there know a faster/easier way to remove the silver finish?

Cheers Guys

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    use 400 wet and dry with loads and loads of very hot soapy water i mean loads 10 rubs and dip in water thats how i did mine but mine was black

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did the dash have a black effect finish spray on or was it just textured?
    The spray on the dash I have is really crap it can be scratched of with your finger nails! A bit cheapy cheap from vauxhall!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a go today with some white spirit and also some methalated spirits I found in the lab. I even tried some acetone. No Joy there though. After that I tried the pressure wash at work. And well it worked a dream the hot blast from the pressure hose ripped off the silver finish. A word of warning though. If you get too close it can damage the surface of the plastic....which I did. But Im sure some sanding will sort that out.
    So if anyone has access to a high pressure hose (with heat) that seems to work.....quick!
    Im going to be taking the rest of the console into work on monday to finish the rest.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    easier to get black dash from lower spec model i got mine from an 04 plate van looks so much better

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by k.a.r.l View Post
    easier to get black dash from lower spec model i got mine from an 04 plate van looks so much better

Thats a good idea...didnt really think of that. What would that set you back for the full center?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    With my black centre console i went really harsh and got out the 80 grit to get the texture off then got smoother. But it is just patience.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    black centre console will cost you about £20 for the whole lot from a scrappy. the main part will be £10 alone on ebay though.

you're probably better off offering your complete silver one in a swap for a black one, with a bit of cash included if yours is in a particularly bad way.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I ended up using the 80 grit first...then the finer grades. But as expected I was left with some deep scratches plus the texture dash was still visible in places. So I grabbed the Orbi sander....Oh yes that did the trick! In places it couldnt reach though I just had patients and hand sanded to get the scratches out plus used a thin layer of stopper. Just put the plastic primer on. Used a whole 300ml can. Not sure if I need more really. How much do you guys usually use?
    Off to football today so not really going to have time to get the red on! But hopefully through the week. Doing my head in driving with the console out and no stereo!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When i did mine i got a spare from the scrappy and did it on that so as not to drive around with not tunez.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast