Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a Novice like me install THIS head unit?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Can a Novice like me install THIS head unit?

I have a small budget of around £60, so after a brief google search up came this head unit:
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1722...html?srcid=867

I am totally new to head units as I have always simply gone with whatever is stock in the cars I have bought.
    I only tend to listen to the radio, CDs (on medium volume ), and things like speaking books, speeches etc.
    I need to get a new HU though as my CDR-500 is mashed.

I have searched AOC for a 'How to' on installing mk4 HU's but i am unable to find one. I have also tried the search facility to no avail.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a 'How to' please?
    And would the job be straightforward for a novice like me? I am not looking to connect up the steering paddles btw.

Many thanks for your help.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Very easy to fit a headunit mate. Take out the allen key grub screws on the CDR500, fit the Vauxhall removal keys, (they cost about £2 on ebay) and pull the old headunit out, disconnect the wiring block + the aerial

You will then need a T20 screwdriver, remove the screw that is at the back of the slot the headunit came out of, now the black cage will pull out.
    Put the cage of the Kenwood headunit in its place. HU will come with a wiring loom, connect it to the wiring loom in the car. Car's wiring loom will have 3 blocks, but the new loom will only connect to 2 of them. On the new loom there will be red and yellow wires with bullet connectors on them. Swap them around so the red connects to the yellow, and the yellow connects to the red.
    Connect the other end of the new loom to the HU. Never used a Kenwood before, but you may need an adaptor to fit the aerial cable, this may be supplied with the HU.
    Slide the headunit into the cage, you should hear or feel it click into place. Turn on the ignition and check it all works.
    The headunit may have come with a plastic surround, clip this is around the front of the headunit

Job done

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Very easy to fit a headunit mate. Take out the allen key grub screws on the CDR500, fit the Vauxhall removal keys, (they cost about £2 on ebay) and pull the old headunit out, disconnect the wiring block + the aerial

You will then need a T20 screwdriver, remove the screw that is at the back of the slot the headunit came out of, now the black cage will pull out.
    Put the cage of the Kenwood headunit in its place. HU will come with a wiring loom, connect it to the wiring loom in the car. Car's wiring loom will have 3 blocks, but the new loom will only connect to 2 of them. On the new loom there will be red and yellow wires with bullet connectors on them. Swap them around so the red connects to the yellow, and the yellow connects to the red.
    Connect the other end of the new loom to the HU. Never used a Kenwood before, but you may need an adaptor to fit the aerial cable, this may be supplied with the HU.
    Slide the headunit into the cage, you should hear or feel it click into place. Turn on the ignition and check it all works.
    The headunit may have come with a plastic surround, clip this is around the front of the headunit

Job done
    Many thanks for the quick, concise and detailed reply!
    It sounds quite easy...even for me

Just a few follow-on Q's:
    1. So i'd have to connect the red wire on the HU to the yellow connection on the car's loom...and the red connection on the car's loom to the yellow wire on the HU?
    2. You said, "Connect the other end of the new loom to the HU" - do you mean I should connect the third wire coming out of the HU back in to the HU itself?
    3. Is the aerial connection a simple job too? Which wire to which plug, etc.?
    4. I think the Kenwood has a pop-off fascia which I'd just pop-off when leaving the car...but I think people have also mentioned buying OEM flip-down fascias that can cover the HU for security (and which look smarter)...where is the best place to get these and how would they be fitted?

Many thanks!
    I'm tired of only being able to listen to crackly radio on my busted CDR-500!!!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if u want a hand fitting it then im free most days 2 help

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

1. So i'd have to connect the red wire on the HU to the yellow connection on the car's loom...and the red connection on the car's loom to the yellow wire on the HU?

Correct

2. You said, "Connect the other end of the new loom to the HU" - do you mean I should connect the third wire coming out of the HU back in to the HU itself?
    Sorry, just meant connect one end of the new loom to the cars wiring, other end of the loom to the headunit

3. Is the aerial connection a simple job too? Which wire to which plug, etc.?
    Yes, its only one connection, pull it off CDR500 plug into Kenwood. You may need the adaptor in the link below, it may be in the box with the headunit

4. I think the Kenwood has a pop-off fascia which I'd just pop-off when leaving the car...but I think people have also mentioned buying OEM flip-down fascias that can cover the HU for security (and which look smarter)...where is the best place to get these and how would they be fitted?

never used one of these before, so can't help on that. Sorry

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Aerial-Ant...d=p3286.c0.m14

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post

Correct
    Not really correct. The red and yellow wires on the new stereo's wiring harness need swapping round via the bullet connectors on the wiring so that it's red from the stereo swapping to yellow as it goes down the wiring, same goes for the other

Kenwoods don;t seem to have aerial adaptors in the box anymore
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosparks View Post
    Not really correct. The red and yellow wires on the new stereo's wiring harness need swapping round via the bullet connectors on the wiring so that it's red from the stereo swapping to yellow as it goes down the wiring, same goes for the other
    Well yeah like my post lol, he'll see what we mean once he has the cable in his hands

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by southwestastra View Post
    if u want a hand fitting it then im free most days 2 help
    Many thanks for the kind offer.
    I'll try it first on my own, and then IF it all goes pear-shaped (i hope not!), i'll try to seek you out

buckle, Autosparks, and anyone else reading:

I guess I'll buy the HU I posted up earlier (KENWOOD KDC-W4044UA), and then try to follow your fitting advice with the cables/wires in my hand.
    The advert says that the HU comes with a "Molex-ISO power cable"...would I also need to buy an aerial adapter, or is that the part needed?

Do you think the above HU would fit my mk4? Do you think it's a decent unit for my needs?

Many thanks again.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dean View Post
    The advert says that the HU comes with a "Molex-ISO power cable"...would I also need to buy an aerial adapter, or is that the part needed?
    That is just the power/speaker wiring loom. You will still need the aerial adaptor.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dean View Post
    Do you think the above HU would fit my mk4?
    Yes it will, once you remove the cage for the original CDR-500 & fit the cage that comes with the Kenwood.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!

MANY Thanks for the help!
    I will attempt to fit it myself now - my local car audio place was quoting me £50!!! Even Halfarts was cheaper at £20! But still a rip-off if u can DIY

I'll keep u guys updated.

If u got any more tips...lemme now. Thanks!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast