Thread: HID advice please

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HID advice please

Right, well i was looking to just upgrade to better Xenon bulbs, but from reading various threads on this forum I'm now very tempted by HID kits! However I'm new to these, so could really use some advice.

Firstly, what's the projector/reflector headlamp types all about? I want to fit the kit to my standard hardlamps (1999 Astra), so do i need to get a specific type of kit - I don't want to dazzle everyone.

If i understand correctly, when fitting these kits the only modifications are to the bulb holders. I'm not really wanteing to modify the existing ones, but have spotted these online http://www.alltronix.co.uk/index.php...7gdmk8acpl8nc5. Has anyone used these before? Will they work with any kits?

I obviously need the car to get through an MOT, so I think i need to get 6000k is that right?

Can anyone recommend a decent kit that will fit, and a reasonable price?

Many thanks - sorry for all the questions! Just want to make sure I do this right!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You might aswell modify your current holders, 20 quid is a rip, a replacement set if you muck it up will be a quid from a scrappy you cant go wrong, also your supposed to have projectors, but i dont and ive never had any complaints ever, also my car just went throught its mot 2 times throught 2 diffrent garages with 10000k bulbs and never failed haha.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    For standard headlights you can get a H7R bulb. Think they may be slightly more expensive than normal H7 bulbs, but they have been designed for use in OE headlights.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p-a View Post
    Right, well i was looking to just upgrade to better Xenon bulbs, but from reading various threads on this forum I'm now very tempted by HID kits! However I'm new to these, so could really use some advice.

Firstly, what's the projector/reflector headlamp types all about? I want to fit the kit to my standard hardlamps (1999 Astra), so do i need to get a specific type of kit - I don't want to dazzle everyone.

If i understand correctly, when fitting these kits the only modifications are to the bulb holders. I'm not really wanteing to modify the existing ones, but have spotted these online http://www.alltronix.co.uk/index.php...7gdmk8acpl8nc5. Has anyone used these before? Will they work with any kits?

I obviously need the car to get through an MOT, so I think i need to get 6000k is that right?

Can anyone recommend a decent kit that will fit, and a reasonable price?

Many thanks - sorry for all the questions! Just want to make sure I do this right!
    hey mate, look up OMG shop on ebay or DIane shop on ebay, these are v good quality kits for reasonable prices (from hong kong and delivery is very quick, max 2 weeks to ireland obviously faster to the uk).

For the Kelvin markings (K) the lower the rating i.e. the brighter the bulb,

4300 is a crisp white colour and v bright,
    6000 is a diamond white colour with a small tinge of blue and again bright,

the higher the kelvin rating the more unusual the colour you can get and prob attract unwanted attention from the fuzz,

as stated on a lot of threads, the hids in standard head lamps are fine once they are correctly aligned.

AS said above modify your own bulb holders or get to a scrappy and get them for about a quid lol

hth.

Dave
    i would if i could but i cant (be arsed)
    maybe I can....clicky ......now sold !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's great, thanks very much for the advice guys. I know my headlamps are aligned correctly with the standard bulbs, do i need to align them again once I've fitted HIDs?

and just one more question! 35w or 55w? Is there much of a difference and which is the most reliable (which would you recommend)?

Good point about the bulb holders! Cheers.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i went with 55w and they overpower my mates 35w HID's.
    will have to get him out again so I can get a pic
    Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unreal_event_horizon View Post
    hey mate, look up OMG shop on ebay Dave
    I've had a look and there are lots of items which look the same, but prices vary from £20ish to £35ish! Am i missing something?!

For example there is this one for £30.99:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HID-XENON-CONV...4.c0.m14.l1262

or this one (which looks the same) for £20:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HID-XENON-CONV...4.c0.m14.l1262

confused!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    look at the postage... there the same really

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    One kit is about £44 with postage they are 55w, other kit is a bit cheaper, around £30 they are 35w.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys, I've done some more research into this, and my main concern is now insurance. A friend of mine works in the insurance industry and it seems that having these kits fitted invalidates your insurance (you can't declare them because they're illegal). If you are involved in a crash and found to have a HID kit installed you won't get an insurance pay out and could end up being convicted. I guess you could say that this has put me off!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast