Thread: Z20LET breather help, please

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Down Z20LET breather help, please

Hi guys just wanting so more in depth info on the z20let breather system as im getting loads of blue smoke and excess oil in the charge system after fitting my new vxr turbo aprox 300 miles ago (totally p**sed off) I,ve checked the 3 breathers that i can see, main one at front of engine, two on cam cover and none are/ looked blocked but im unsure weather they can block internally (within the engine) or if theres any other places that they can block? also seem to have a bit of crank case pressure when removing dip stick or breathers but dont know if this is excesive as i dont know how much pressure they have when everything is all fine? I've checked all the obvious and basic already just on my way to do a compression check to try and identify if rings are shot will update later. Thanks muchly
    Im using 5/30 fully i know its thin and yall say 10/40 but havent had any probs b4 turbo replacement and not convinced it is at the cause of my problem?!!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could be that the seals on the original had pushed oil into the cooler, and now the pressure is back up cos you have a new turbo, the oil is being forced fro the intake into the engine.... a lot of people get this due to oil soak in the cooler.

as for oil, i also use 5/30 but having read a few peoples stories etc im thinking of going 10/40 at next service point..... if you use 5/30, just make sure you do more regular services
    No longer GSi power
    Dirty Derv Decked Vec is the way forward for me!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    in theory the 5/30 should last better than 10/40 but most have found that 10/40 is ideal for the the Z20LET...change the oil every 3-5k..
    as for your problems I would also say theres oil left in the cooler thats causing problems...hopefully thats all it is and a good clean out will of cooler and pipe work will sort....
    def let us know how u get on...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine chucks blue smoke out of breathers. but thats due to my turbo. leaking oil

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replys i proberbly will change to 10/40 at the next oil change, just put fresh 5/30 in with turbo. i removed the ic and cleaned all the pipe work out yesterday did find quite abit of oil in there i was very suspicious as did not have a smoking problem with old turbo. done abot 60 miles today no smoke yet but did suspect it to smoke again as ic refils, Just gota try it for now i supose. was just worried about the pressure in breather side just done a compression check anyone know the specs? roughly 190psi on all 4 when cranking until max pressure reached. As i said i've just fitted a vxr unit that i bought from flee bay and was sure it was faulty after it started smoking after so few miles, thought id just lost £400.