Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter

Angry Agencies - RANT

I like much of the UK am currently looking for another job. Now I have never been unemployed as I'm still in work at the moment I can still say that! I've never used an agency before and didn't know what to expect.

So I get a call asking me to come over and talk to them so I arrange a date and time. I travel there (during works time) and like always I'm early for the appointment by 20 mins. So 10 mins to find the place exactly and 10 mins to turn up fashionably early. I then get a phone call.... Could I possibly come back in an hour as the womans late. OK I say (knowing work wouldn't be that happy with me having over 2 hours out of the office).

I turn up and press the buzzer. No answer so I press it again this time he door latch buzzes me through. Waiting patiently in reception no one came so I venture upstairs to find a woman smiling and saying my name and becons me up. I go and get sat in an office and given an application form. "fill out this and let me know when you've done".

Annoyingly I sit patiently and fill out the form duplicating everything thats currently in my CV (which they already have) into tiny, impossible to use boxes. So my writing gets tinyer to fit into tiny box until my writing becomes illegible.

Successfully I'm finished and walk back into another office from where she came and was told to take a seat again. I wait for 5 mins whilst they discuss locking up early and going for a hot chocolate and a movie. She comes in and sits down talks through my CV making me repeat whats already in my CV. Followed by we've got no vacancies for you at present that you may be interested in but we have a few companies who may be interested in your CV so we'll pass it on. Thanks and bye.

So I've spent the past couple of days getting everything ready including the advert I originally applied to ect trying to read inbetween the lines to find out exactly what their client is looking for. I put on a nice fresh suit to make a good first impression, I turn up early and have to wait over an hour for her to stop shopping (as it turns out). Spent 2 hours out of work for something that could of been done over the e-mail and by telephone. I could of spent the time applying for more jobs.

The whole experience has just really grated my cheese and I'm well racked off with it. Sorry for the long post I'm just really hacked off.
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    been there done that was as annoyed infact that was 2 years ago and i still havent had a call from them.

on the other hand mate i have used agencies before (infact thas how i started at enta) and they have been great walked in done there assesment bit and had a interview same or next day jsut a case of making sure they have the job you have seen first
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'd certainly be peed off, can you claim back loss of earnings at all mate? cos I certainly would be!
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They're not all bad mate and if you register with the right one Im sure they will be able to find some jobs suitable for you (provided you're not a plank lol)

I got my current job (and many other interviews) through an excellent agency- started as a temp and worked my way up to management. Now I deal with the same agency interviewing and employing new staff and they're still excellent

Having said that I have too had experience of some shockers and they're application forms are sooo long.
    Astra coupe turbo 280bhp-sold
    BMW E60 5 Series M Sport

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I know its abit out of the way mate but Telford have a decent one, anystaff. Give them a try, my mate not long ago signed up and he had 3 job offers. Good luck with the search!!
    Honda Civic Type R

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Most of them are idiots in Burtons suits...Make them do the hard work, not you..they have to earn it so their OTE of 2.1million PA can be met!

I used one about 5 yrs ago now, i used to make him come out every month and take me & my then boss out for lunch, the satisfaction when he couldnt pay his credit card bill...priceless..as he was a total imbacile..

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Thanks guys I cannot stand people wasting my time it really bugs the living day lights out of me. So today was a huge c0ck up IMO. I'm not part of this blame, sue no win no fee culture I just take it all as experience. But I'll be wary next time thats for sure. I'm not taking an hour off to fill in a peice of paper with details they already have and chat to me for 5 mins about the details I've already supplied them with. Although they seem to be the gate keepers of jobs now a days so its hard to circumvent them as most companies including the one I work for won't entertain anyones CV dropping through the letter box or phoning for jobs ect.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know how you feel Jam, i've been kicked about by agencies in the past, and not got anywhere, however my position at vodafone started as a temp through an agency last year, keep trying mate, something will come through
    Observe the masses and do the opposite

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It depends what type of job you are after. The Government department I work for are now looking at going back to employing people directly to cut out agencies. The main reason is cost and people previously supplied to work on 12month contracts didn't appear to match the details on the CV! In the past ten years only three people have been suitable and were given permanent positions. You can spot them a mile off. Others had the attitude of "I'm not bothered, I'll just call the agency and they will get me another job". Fortunately not everyone is like that.
    I would still advise applying direct to companies and doing research on different employers. I was out of work many years ago twice. Once for a year and then for 2 years. Looking at the way jobs go now, take what you can and work your way up.
    I feel sorry for students who think they will be given a job after their final year. The job market has changed so much. At least you are not sitting back with no intention of working, there are too many people like that now.
    Best of luck anyway.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Agencies are not bad at all, but at the same time some are a lot better than others. What you need to remember though, is to be picky when you do receive a call from an agency, they need you for the commission they get paid for filling a place and probably a cut from your salary. You need to be totally upfront about what you're looking for and if they do ask you to come in, always ask them what exactly you're coming to their office for. I've had several saved days simply because I asked what they needed me to come down for (as a lot of agencies allow you to register online) and when they said "to register" I thought unless you have some open vacancies I would be suitable for, I'm not wasting my time. If you do feel the agency is crap, remember you have no obligation, so just sign up with someone else!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast