Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Becoming a car mechanic

Hopefully someone can help me?

I'm seriously thinking about becoming a car mechanic but?! I have read that you need to do a basic course then go on to work your way up in a garage? Think the course was NVQ level 1? Then level 2 and 3 at a garage? I also read that its only available for people aged between 16 and 24? I'm 24?

I'm trying to find out as much as possible! Google isn't very helpful at the moment! From what i have gathered its either NVQ or City and Guilds? I have contacted a local college and waiting a reply. Thought i would ask on here as i think there are a few mechanics?

I haven't much experience at the moment with cars! I'm pretty mechanically minded and i can take stuff apart and put it back. Replace parts etc. I picked up laptop repairs etc from scratch and i'd never done it before! So i think i can pick up stuff and learn again

Sorry for all the questions and long winded sentences! I just want to have a decent career as i'm not liking what i'm doing at the moment!

If anyone can shed any light on this please let me know

Thanks in advance

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow hotzafira On Twitter
    was thinkig of this when i took my daughter to enrol at colleage the other day,think that is the way forward,dont know about apprentaships,do they still do them?????

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you will probs have to do an apprentership m8 but it shite money and some dont every get payed and *** on msn!
    Back in an astra and loving it

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you cant afford to wait and do an apprentership then they do part-time courses at college to learn to be a mechanic.. trouble is you dont get the experience u would at a garage and will take afew years to pass it but if its what you want to do go for it .. oh and you have to pay for the course aswell

my husband went to full time college when younger and did ayear and a half at college n dropped out the penis.. regrets it now as is looking to go back
    Drives a Arden blue zafi gsi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotzafira View Post
    was thinkig of this when i took my daughter to enrol at colleage the other day,think that is the way forward,dont know about apprentaships,do they still do them?????
    Yeah they seem to still do them! Just not sure where i look? I done a search on the City and Guilds web page not didn't show anything?

Quote Originally Posted by 5853moore View Post
    you will probs have to do an apprentership m8 but it shite money and some dont every get payed and *** on msn!
    Don't mind doing that as long as i get something to pay my bills! I can't afford to not work and earn nothing! And i would come on MSN but i'm at work and don't have it!

Quote Originally Posted by milly-gsi View Post
    if you cant afford to wait and do an apprentership then they do part-time courses at college to learn to be a mechanic.. trouble is you dont get the experience u would at a garage and will take afew years to pass it but if its what you want to do go for it .. oh and you have to pay for the course aswell

my husband went to full time college when younger and did ayear and a half at college n dropped out the penis.. regrets it now as is looking to go back
    Thanks, don't suppose you have a link do you? Not sure how i can find an apprentership? Could i ask some garages?

I've been thinking about this for a while! Other careers etc have crossed my mind but keep coming back to this! I feel i can pick it all up quickly! Since watching my other halfs mechanic friend working on her car its kinda inspired me! Plus i want a job i will enjoy and can do hopefully for the rest of my life! Its definately looking like the way forward if i can do it!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After a bit of research i have found out the following, wether its true or not is another thing!

I need NVQ level 1 to get an apprenticeship at a garage and work towards level 2.

I may not need NVQ level 1 to get on a course! But i doubt this very much?

Kwik fit offer an apprenticeship course over 2 years. Has anyone done one of these? Have sent them an email regarding level 1 etc but have had nothing back yet? It does say it doesn't start until the 11th Spet?

Can anyone shed some more light on this?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Best thing to do is try n get a job mate and learn that way, i am a mechanic but dont have a piece of paper saying im qualified even tho i know for a fact im more competent than half the tyre/exhaust fitting superhero mechanics who look at u with a tear in there eye if u mention pistons.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hope it works out for you, avoid kwik fit if u can aswell or ul end up balancing wheels for the rest of ur days.

Good Luck

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo1 View Post
    Best thing to do is try n get a job mate and learn that way, i am a mechanic but dont have a piece of paper saying im qualified even tho i know for a fact im more competent than half the tyre/exhaust fitting superhero mechanics who look at u with a tear in there eye if u mention pistons.
    What should i do? Ring some garages and see if they would take me on and help me? I think my main problem is that i haven't done any courses and i don't have much experience doing this! Just the little things i've done with my own cars?! I feel i can pick this up easily. I'm a fast learner

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo1 View Post
    hope it works out for you, avoid kwik fit if u can aswell or ul end up balancing wheels for the rest of ur days.

Good Luck
    Ok mate, just the only place i can find that offers anything?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast