Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fixing Rusty Arches

Hey, some advice

One of my arches is looking pretty bad while the other is okish, but both have rust on them, had a guy who was going to sort both of them for no more than £400 (would be less if it took him less but £400 was the maximum) but he can no longer do this so I am thinking of attempting this myself, the way I look at it is it cant look any worse than it is at the minute, right? Also if I do **** it up then I will have to pay someone anyway so got nothing to lose really.

What I was thinking of doing was rubbing it all down, treating any rust with some rust eater/converter, I am sure there will be some holes so I will fibre glass the back and then filler over the top, I have heard you can get "rust proof" filler? Then just smooth it all down, prime, paint and lacquer the arch? Does this sound too easy, what sort of problems am I going to run into, I have been told the only real way to treat rust is to replace the arch, if I do what I said above how long is it likely to last?

Thanks for any help.
    David

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've tried to do this to my arches twice, with not much success. The repair job lasts a couple of months and then the rust starts to come through again. The problem is that the rust forms between the two panels so you can't treat the source of the problem. The only way to properly remove it is to cut the metal out and replace. Anything else will just buy you a bit of time.
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Where is the rust? I have none easily visible but if you look at the flat underneath of the arch lip there is rust and bubbled paint all around on the passenger side. Drivers side had the whole 1/4 panel replaced under warranty a few years back so that is fine at the moment - I've been wondering on repair costs for this myself, it does appear to be just surface rust but if it isn't I assume the cost will be much higher...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Here are a couple of pictures, has got worse since then, I have cleaned out behind the arches (bloody stinking!) and waxoyled them to try and prevent any further rust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I'll have to have a gander at mine. Am sure i don't have any rusting around the arches. Haven't really seen a MK4 killed by the rust yet. Thought they were generally good?

How was it (applying waxoyl)? Did you go the brush or spray method? Was thinking of getting this done. Did you just go for the arches or do the underside of the car also?

Am thinking i could spend a good while banging off & brushing off rust underneath the car before waxoyling. Everything fair game except the exhaust or are there other things that are a no-go?

I think that'll do for question-time

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    MK4 is very very bad for rusting rear arches, pretty much all of them suffer this, someone was telling me that their 4 year old mk4 was rusting pretty badly on the rear arch, it is to do with the design of the arch, it has a lip that will collect dirt and moisture so will cause it to rust through. I just washed them out and power hosed them (be careful as I managed to take a tiny bit of paint off) then just used a tin of comma waxoyl, cost about £7 or 8 and then coated the inside of the arches with it. I used the straw that came with it and just bent it up and round into the arch to get it in there.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    4yr old is within the 6yr anti-perforation warranty...

Mine is nearly all on the lip as per your bottom two photo's though I do have two small bubbles further away from the arch.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I'm surprised then, as i've not really seen a rust riddled MK4 before. I've not noticed any signs of rust on mine either, other than actually under the car (fuel tank cover is quite badly rusted & cracked).

They've a pit & a power washer at work. I may have to invest in some waxoyl & get messy.

EDIT: Just been out for a looky. Rear arches aren't that bad tbh. Maybe the slightest of slight paint peel at the centre of the passenger side. Read you should waxoyl in warm weather ........ so that's me done for 7 months or so then :|

My car is 8yrs old btw.

Do folk generally find that mudlfaps increase, decrease or make sod all difference to arch rust?
    Wondered whether they'd trap dirt in, or keep dirt out, or not make much difference, as i'm thinking of getting some.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Here are a couple of pictures, has got worse since then, I have cleaned out behind the arches (bloody stinking!) and waxoyled them to try and prevent any further rust.

and I thought mine was rusting badly! The top picture is certainly rusting through from the inside. If you're planning to keep the car for many more years then I'd get the entire panel replaced. I personally don't plan on keeping the car for more than a couple more years, so just patched it up best I could. I've applied waxoyl to both rear arches a couple of times now, but don't know how much difference it makes (I used the stuff that's specifically for arches and painted it on quite thick).
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I live in Scotland so I've seen a fair few MK4's with rusty arches!

Nearly all cars with this design of arch rust here. I remember working on MK2 Fiestas back in the 90's with this problem - they were really bad!

You can stop it happening again by cleaning out the lip with a toothbrush every time you wash the car. I've looked at a few otherwise mint MK4's with mud caked up behind here and starting to bubble. Some as late as 02 plate.

The only way, as said, is to cut out and replace. I'm not sure if there are any 'Hadrian' (am I showing my age here) arch repair sections for the MK4 yet, might be worth finding out.

Either way, its easy sorted by a bodyshop, although there is a bit of work involved in blending everything in. I'm sure you could get a better quote then £400.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast