AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Turbo oil feed leak...and turbo problem

Hi guys
    This is the story in short...

The turbo needed a new oil return which when was replaced initially was not done right because it was still leaking. So the mechanics took it off again and fixed it but with instant gasket paste, or some sort of sealing silicone, which I read was a big NO for oil feed and return pipes.

Since then I have been experiencing problems. Stared getting blue smoke in puffs after idling for a while or when starting a hot engine, oil consumption (didn't have it b4), fair bit of oil in the IC pipe.
    Now the feed pipe is showing a leak. Could it be that the gasket paste blocked the return pipe and its building up pressure on the feed pipe and exerting pressure on the turbo seals and filling up the IC pipe on one side and the exhaust on the other, hence the mentioned symptoms? Is it possible that is caused problems to the turbo seals now, even if the return pipe is cleared out ?

I didn't realize this until I took pictures of the turbo from underneath and saw the gasket paste, I suspected the behavior on the breather pipes since the one below the crossover pipe was bent and not a lot of room was left for the engine to breathe properly. In the mean time I changed the breather hoses but no improvement.

Check out the picture:

Thanks
    J

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, everything you say does make sence.
    You can definately see if aint fixed, as its still running now the pipe.

Gasket paste is defo a NO! on those pipes, as the paste can move and harden, an as the hole ways are small anyway, the paste is more than likely gonna move an block some if not all the hole, in turn building pressure.

If he has used paste then i think he who's u a turbo

Clear up with him what he used to fix it the second time round, before you start slating him lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra 1.9 cdti xpack
    Mentioned in
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    one way to find out, take the return pipe off and see if its blocked the banjo bolt up in the block, it could not be related though as a bent breather pipe can do the same and force it past the seals. you said you solved that but did you check the rest of them for blockages?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Take it off and get a new one and a new gasket.
    Vxr turbo with 360 bearing and twin oils seals & Evoms dv. Cdti airbox 63mm tophat.Milltex cat back and pre cat.. Regal 245 leh phase 1 ipf remap.Whiteline rarb.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, such a pain in the @$$. A little problem turns into a big one.

The general issue is that such cars are not common here and mechanics lack professional education. It is sad that they cannot carry out simple fixes correctly.

I had a really difficult time finding the return pipe anyway, couldn't even imagine about finding a gasket. The dealers don't stock it, only available by order through them which usually takes more than a month.

I changed the back breather hose and the front breather hose. However, I haven't checked the condition of the thin hose with the one way valve(changed the one way valve couple years ago). Also I am not sure whether the metal pipe that runs down to the sump is blocked.

I wouldn't need to get a new pipe right? Just clean it up and get a proper gasket, will try my luck on ebay.

I already see I am gonna have to gear up to battle with the mechanics.

Thanks